Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflight Butterfly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Building a Dynaflight Butterfly

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Dead eyes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Dynaflight Butterfly

I recently bought a Dynaflight Butterfly from Tower Hobbies. After flying many fun flies I wanted something relaxing to put around in from time to time. Let me say first of all the shipping was great, it even arrived a day early. (Pretty good considering its Christmas time). I checked to make sure everything was accounted for and began framing up the rudder. The balsa and included hardware looks great. However I plan to change out the landing gear for a sturdier aluminum strap type for the mains and add a steerable tailwheel.
I would like to hear from those who have also built and flew these fine looking models. I was considering flying it with a .15 os. I might use it for egg drops and photos. I will be adding pictures from time to time.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33374.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	201469   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45066.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	201470  
Old 12-12-2004, 03:58 PM
forrest adams

Default RE: Building a Dynaflight Butterfly

i had a friend that built one - he said it was easy to thermal, but could not handle much wind. overall, a very nice flier - very easy to fly.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 AM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

The first one I built I left out the Steel Rod. Joined the wings,wrapped the center with glass---
---First flight--wing snapped in half. Bummer--nice plane too --I would say-- "Follow the instructions" Flew really nice,but needs spoilers --Just a suggestion--Good luck--You'll enjoy this one---
Old 12-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Dead eyes

Thanks for the replys so far. Here are a couple more pics from the hanger. Suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated.

[img][/img]

Name:	Jh16711.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	204303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10965.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	204304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58332.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	204305  
Old 12-18-2004, 03:49 PM
J3FAN

My Butterfly flew away never to be seen again three Xmases ago. It had a DIESEL motor equivalent to a 0.9 glow. It flew so straight and true it was unbelievable.
If I were ever to repeat it... there is ONE thing for it that I would not repeat : the landing GEAR and the steerable tail wheel are superfluous and just add weight. The best performance witnessed on a Butterfly had just ONE WHEEL, inserted in the belly, just in front of the tow hook set up in such a way that only HALF of the wheel protrudes from the fuselage and just enough extended to roll without allowing the towhook to catch on the grass.
Food for thought, I hope
you will definitely ENJOY that plane
RICK
Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I suspect that with that big rudder and a 15 on it you'll find that it's capable of more aerobatics than would think. I put an 09 Enya on a 6 foot span glider to make my own sorta Butterfly long before the Butterfly was designed. Same as you I added gear and steerable tail wheel. It was supposed to be my power transition trainer from glider to RET power. Well, it did fine and I soon got brave with it and started trying to stetch it's legs. Loops were super tight and quick with all that wing of course. Inverted wasn't possible with the thick flat bottomed wing although I could hold it in a stable descent but had to 1/2 inside before it got too low. But the signature maneuver were the rudder rolls. With all that dihedral and big rudder with all the throw it would do the oddest rolls. Most RET models do more of a barrel roll but the glider didn't need to make it barrel shaped. Instead I would crank the rudder and the model would yaw about 10 to 15 degrees to the line of flight and it would just pivot around the CG fast with virtually no altitude loss. It was the oddest looking roll I've ever seen. Try it with your Butterfly!
Old 12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Dead eyes

Here is an update to the project.

[img][/img]

Name:	Bz78419.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	205388  
Old 12-22-2004, 11:41 PM
wallyb70
My Feedback: (8)

hi deadeye, most of the guys in our club take the landing gear off. we just hand launch and there is no rollout anyway. i have an os25 on mine because i would have to add weight anyway. they are fun and relaxing, have fun. wally
Old 12-23-2004, 07:18 AM
flyer495th

The Butterfly was the first plane that I built and learned to fly with. I started with a OS .15LA on it but plane needed to be hand launched. I have upgraded the engine to OS .25 FX and it takes off the ground in about 6 to 8 feet. Once in the air I just adjust the thottle to slow and let the plane climb. It is not a good plane for any wind. I have also made floats for it and fly it off water. It is a fun plane and it normally gets used about 4 to 6 times a year. I will always keep it for those days of just soaring around. I am hoping to get out this week and fly it off the snow and this will be the first Winter try for this plane.

Bob
Old 01-14-2005, 03:25 PM
captjckirk

I currently have two Butterflys, one with Magnum 25, and one electricfied. Both are fun and great fliers. Neither have a landing gear, hand launched, to save weight. Since I found out how easy it is to clean the electric I don't fly the glow engined one very often. Also went to carbon-fiber wing rod, again to save weight. If you decide to go electric e-mail me for some important construction changes that need to be made. Several members in our club have 40 sized glow engines for climb and glide contests. Good luck with you BF.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:27 AM
EyeflyRC
My Feedback: (147)

I bought a used Butterfly at a swap meet, installed three standard servos, an OS .25 SF engine and a six ounce tank. It needed the .25 engine to balance. I usually fly it at just above idle in calm weather and have had 52 minute flights with the engine running. If I take it up high and run out of gas, I can stretch the glide to five or six minutes. At times I have had to land it simply because I had to go to the restroom. It is a great calm weather flyer and the best therapy one could ask for. No stress, just the wonder of flight on the wings. It is a great addition to anyones fleet of planes.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:11 PM
nanavion46

I purchased a Craft Air Butterfly, before Dynaflite took over, in 1984 from Tower Hobbies for $24.99. I immediately built it adding the aluminum strap type landing gear with 2 1/2" wheels and replacing the two 1/8" balsa wing turbolators with 1/8" spruce. I found the 1/8" balsa wing turbolators much too easy to break when handling the wing. I built the stock tailskid instead of installing a tailwheel. This tailskid arrangement has proved very satisfactory. I originally installed an O S Max .15 (plain bearing) which worked just fine. The Butterfly will takeoff from sod in 15 to 20'. Recently, I wanted to use the .15 in a 44" Sterling Piper Tri Pacer, and installed an O S Max .20 FP in the Butterfly. The Butterfly didn't need the extra HP, but it does perform much better. In summary, I have been flying the Butterfly for some 20 year's with complete satisfaction. It is a great Sunday afternoon, relaxing type flyer. I highly recommend it!!!!!! Nanavion46.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:30 AM
captjckirk

The fun thing about going electric with the Butterfly is if you are thermal hunting you can re-start the motor and search a wide area. On a good day flights of 10 to 18 min. can be had. My longest without re-staring the motor was 31 min. Eliminating the landing gear and using a carbon fiber wing rod will bring down the weight alot.