Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Fox 1.3 Meter RC Sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox 1.3 Meter RC Sailplane

Hello fellow gliders![:@]

Hehe. Just wonderin if the Fox 1.3 Meter RC Sailplane would be good recommendation as a beginner sailplane. Its all foam (WHICH I DESPEARATELY HATE, BUT HEY, WHAT CAN I DO, IM A BEGINNER RIGHT?). Just one question, is it all EPP foam, or styrofoam? My tolerance to that material after my experiaence with the wattage cessna, is terminal. Ill be really carefull with it and all. The only reason im tolerating the material is because my AMA card just came in today,, and i found a great club with a great president who offered to pick me up from the ferry station and drive me to the field. What a guy. [8D]. The club has great instructors. Also i like the plane period. Its a towing plane, which adds to the realism. (You dont see a full size sailplane launched into the sky with a mile long nilon cord, although i read an article about it, few years back). Also, i love the older brother of this plane. I want to train on this one, get the filip V handlaunch glider with it, to practice, and to have more fun, even if i screw up the plane, then buy the fox, 2 meter sailplane. I watched the video for the 1.8 fox, and must say, im pretty impressed. Hope it will last long.

Thanks Alot to all those reader who contributed. For all readers who havent, i hope you enjoyed reading the article, and pressed the reply button, cause im desperate for feed back here!

Michal

PS: Is it possible to cover the foam with Ekonokote (or some other material foam-friendly) to add some sort of "reinforcement".

Thanks Again!

Edited to remove needless language. -bcm
Old 01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Fox 1.3 Meter RC Sailplane

If it's styrofoam then it'll break regardless of the covering. It just won't mess up the field that way.

If you want to beef it up and it can stand a two to three ounce weight increase then paper mache it with newsprint bonded on with water based polyurethane varnish. Use multiple staggered size layers where extra strength is needed and you'll have a much stronger styrofoam model. I made a couple of control line combat models years ago using this method and they were light, competitive and STRONG.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:27 PM
TFLG

Stay away! far away....that thing is an egg shell and not even close to a noobie plane. Get your self a spirit or a gentile lady or some other 2 meter trainer plane. I have the fox 2 meter and it is FAR from a beginner ship too. Small scale planes are often a handful to fly (heck big ones can be too!). But the smaller the ship the squirrellier they tend to be. The Fox is HEAVY and has a wicked tip stall. I've seen two of those spun into the dirt by beginers.

You gotta learn to crawl, then walk, then run, then skip, then dance before you learn to fly scale gliders!

TFLG
Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TFLG

Stay away! far away....that thing is an egg shell and not even close to a noobie plane. Get your self a spirit or a gentile lady or some other 2 meter trainer plane. I have the fox 2 meter and it is FAR from a beginner ship too. Small scale planes are often a handful to fly (heck big ones can be too!). But the smaller the ship the squirrellier they tend to be. The Fox is HEAVY and has a wicked tip stall. I've seen two of those spun into the dirt by beginers.

You gotta learn to crawl, then walk, then run, then skip, then dance before you learn to fly scale gliders!

TFLG

I 100% agree with TFLG. Stay far away from any fox until u can fly gliders properly.

The fox is a high performance acrobatic glider and wont forgive u any mistake.

Start with something easy to fly such as a gentle lady or others in the same category. For the beginnig this will give you a lot of fun and almost non frustration.

Saludos,
Landi

(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299913)