Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tow Hook location - ASW 19

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 12:42 AM
Ojai3D
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hook location - ASW 19

Hi,

Anyone know the exact location to set a winch hook on a Dream Catcher Hobbies-
ASW 19? Any help, tips or suggestions would be really appreciated...

Sal
[email protected]
Old 09-11-2002, 01:10 AM
Ollie

Mount twin tow hooks on the fuselage sides, just under the wing root at the CG. Use a bridle that has a ring on each end and runs freely through the ring on the end of the tow line. A big, heavy scale ship like this is best winch launched from the ground. Have an assistant hold on to one of the wing tips to level the wings untill it is airborne.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:34 AM
Ojai3D
My Feedback: (8)

Default Tow Hook location...

Thanks so much... the bridal really makes more sense
than a single hook -

I'm flying 40% aerobatic planes now but the thought of launching this
gives me more "jitters" than a first flight with a 150 cc motor!

I appreciate the help - lots.

Sal
Old 09-13-2002, 06:47 AM
Gary Retterbush

I don't know how large your ASW-19 is but I launch a lot of them up to 4.5 meters without any problems. My DG 800S weighs 6.5 kilos and is no sweat!

A bridle greatly simplifies things and the hooks should be about half way bewteen the CG and the leading edge, fairly low down on the fuselage. A "Y" tow line about 1-1.5 meters long is connected up and away you go.

I strongly recommened against having anyone hold the wings during launch! Simply level them out with one foot under a wing and that is it. Trying to run with the plane will generally end up holding back one tip and starting a yaw circus. A sailplane will be aileron controllable right from the start so keeping the wings level is not a problem.

If you do not use the bridle, then position the hook about 3-4 cm in front of the usual position. This will make the plane less apt to nose up and stall right after take off.

Have fun,
Gary