Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Slowest Floater in 140" WS and above

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slowest Floater in 140" WS and above

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 09:50 PM
the bone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowest Floater in 140" WS and above

Anyone know:

What is the slowest floater in the 140" or bigger glider? Ray of Skybench says the Thermal Queen. Can't find any construction pictures or articles on this plane. Ray also said there was a article on this plane in the 1970 November Flying Models which I would buy, but there older magazines that they have for sale only go back to about 1974 or 75. Does Anyone have that article they could scan and send me Email. Does anyone know how hard of build this kit is.
Would like to here other peoples opinions about big slow floaters. I have a Paragon kit I am about to start which fits this bill and am looking for my next kit that is bigger.

Thank You The Bone
Old 02-18-2005, 10:09 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Slowest Floater in 140" WS and above

Could just pen one up yourself. Don't need any fancy drawings to build from. Have you finished the Paragon?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:19 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It would have to be the Gaggler by Carl Lorber. A huge model with a very free flight like undercambered airfoil. It's also drop dead gorgeous thanks to elliptical tips and tail sections. The plans are still available from flying models.

A close second that wouldn't quite fly as slowly would be the Grand Esprit.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:23 AM
forrest adams

the sailaire (i've built and flown one) is very big and slow - mine used to just sit up there parked in the sky for about an hour.
we used to call it the 'pigaire' because it was such a pig of a plane.
sailaires are a little tough to build though.

btw, what do you plan to do with this big, slow, floater?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:09 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

The Sailpig er' Sailaire is about as slow as I've flown. Some what of a pain to build but well worth it. Mine tends to ignore the fact that the spoilers are deployed and it's time to land. Even crummy flights off of bad launches are 10 to 15 min. Kind of flies like a big bus on only 2 cylinders, took some time to get used to the time lag between control input and response.
Don't let the tail get fat on you when you build. Mine needed almost a pound of nose weight(not including to 12+ oz. of batteries stuffed in the nose) to balance. Rebuilt the tail feathers and now only need 4oz. in the nose+batteries to balance.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:17 AM
the bone

SoCAl
Haven't started the Paragon yet. I'me on the road in a Motor Home and have to wait till I get Home in Boise Id. so I'll have some room to build. I'm thinking of building it with Flaps instead of spoilers. Don't know how many bays or which bay to start and end at or what the width of the flaps should be. I have read several articles where people like flaps better than spoilers, and thats the reason I was thinking of doing it. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks for all of your help. I'm 60 yrs. old and haven't built since I was in my twenties. I'm looking forward to the build and always loved slow floating planes.

Thank You The Bone
Old 02-27-2005, 09:16 AM
kingbee

Bone,
I'd build the Paragon stock, with spoilers. Flaps are useful on a heavier or faster plane to slow it down for landing and circling, but the Paragon is already a very slow plane with a pretty low wing loading. In fact it's one of the best slow floaters available. After you've flown it a while you may find yourself wanting a little wider speed range, especially on those breezy days or when you follow a thermal a long way downwind. Then the Challenger might start to look like the best choice.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I agree on just building the Paragon stock. The open structure wing is not torsionally ridgid and will flex with flaps. Now if you want to build a second wing center section with flaps I could draw sometihing up for you to work from. Would have a fully sheeted D-tube for strength and twisting.