Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Hard case for taking gliders on airliners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hard case for taking gliders on airliners

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:37 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hard case for taking gliders on airliners

Hey, I used to fly alot of the slopes in southern CA back in the 80's and early 90's and have just started a job that'll get me back there regularly. I want to take a plane or two or three, nayone know of a case I can use to take a couple of 48-50" slopers with me?

Old 02-20-2005, 08:26 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hard case for taking gliders on airliners

Gun cases. Golf club cases. Trombone case.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure! Use a gun case! They're a LOT of fun to take on a commercial flight these days. Oh yeah, make sure you put your tramsmitter in an ammunition box, too. That way they'll NEVER hassle you.

papermache
Old 02-21-2005, 12:27 AM
soholingo

do a search for sport tube. sport tubes are tubes used to carry skiis, but work well for gliders. A lot of glider guys use these.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:32 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

I've flown with my Turbo in an "Anvil " case (originally for a saxaphone-got it for free on the giveaway shelf in my ex-apt building) and it was zero hassle. The TSA was into it coming and going, and they kinda nicked up the canopy getting it off, so I'll leave it off next time. I left a copy of an old CR High Performance catalog with the page open to the Turbo so they knew what they were looking at. If you have a takedown wing its the hot setup. I have enough space leftover to put another 60" plane in the case with a few adjustments, so my Shrike will probably go in there. Firearms have to go with a "firearms-unloaded' tag so the staff will be able to tell them apart. Other choices are a keyboard case, a "sport-tube", golf hardcases,bow hard cases,etc. Check on a TSA lock as well so they can get in without cutting your lock.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

As I recall I once read in RCM or someware else some time ago of a inexpensive ($50) blow-molded plastic (the same sort of material used in the cases some power tools come in) golf club airline case a guy modified to tote a couple of his planes around as you wish to . . . A clam shell type of thing. I think he said he got it from Wal-mart but I'm not sure on that. You might want to contact Mike Lee of RCM's soaring coloum: [email protected] He might know where you can find what I read or have some ideas of his own, from what I understand he travels quite alot. He's a nice guy and will take the time to respond to your e-mail though it might take him a week or so. He has for me every time I wrote to him. . . but don't be suprised to find you name and question in the mag three months later as he did with me (Nov. issue) without warning, much to my suprise and delight. (I did say in an earlier note that if he thought anything I wrote would be of use he could use it and my name if he wished)
Rick K
LSF6493
Old 02-21-2005, 08:45 PM
mars

Pelican cases (and pelican knock off's) come in many shapes and sizes.
http://www.casesbypelican.com/
Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 AM
ChuckA

I used an archery bow case for many years to carry a sailplane to Visalia and Phoenix without problems. Cost under $30 at Kamart. I finally started designing my sailplanes to fit the bow case. Don't fly airlines any more because of the Terminal Stupid Asses. I am retired and now only fly contests that I can drive to.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:12 AM
rscarawa

Evan
Here is a link so a similair topic.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338888

Scot
Old 03-13-2005, 02:18 PM
LOOKOUT!
My Feedback: (2)

Hard snowboard cases work really well some are adjustable in length and can be used for more then one ship