Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Micro Receiver Ranges

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:34 PM
slopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Receiver Ranges

How can i make sure my glider doesnt go out of range with a micro receiver? I'm looking into buying a Fling or HL Zip but if i used my futaba micro receiver it would be real easy to run out of range. The R114F receiver (the one i have in my parkflyer) has 600 feet of range. Is this an accurate number? Wow. Any feedback appretiated. Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
rscarawa

Default RE: Micro Receiver Ranges

The range should be greater in the air. If you are worried, I would switch out the receiver with a full strength one. I went to a 5 channel FMA. Some of the park flyer receivers are good for 1000'. That should cover you in most cases.

Many ARF planes like the Spirit Select come with reduced range receivers. That must say something about the range.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:29 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 114 in my fling and have taken it out and up to the point that I'm uncomfortable with seeing it, easily over 600 ft, probably over 1000ft with no problem. Same with the GWS rcvrs I have. The problem is you won't be able to fit a full strength receiver in the nose of the fling. The battery size is as big a problem if you want to fly longer than 30 minutes. I made a 300ma Nimh for mine but Tower carries a battery that is configured the same you can use. I also use a 114 in my Tensor which rarely gets more than 40 ft from me...
Old 03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
slopilot

Thanks, my vision will probably restrict me more than the receiver's range.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the R114F is a "channel-challenged" version of thr R114H... I have 6 of the H's... and trust them to beyond visual range.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rscarawa

The range should be greater in the air. If you are worried, I would switch out the receiver with a full strength one. I went to a 5 channel FMA. Some of the park flyer receivers are good for 1000'. That should cover you in most cases.

Many ARF planes like the Spirit Select come with reduced range receivers. That must say something about the range.
My Spirit select came with a rated 3000 feet. That is about 1KM, or .6 miles. Adequate for a 2M plane.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:59 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: slopilot

How can i make sure my glider doesnt go out of range with a micro receiver? I'm looking into buying a Fling or HL Zip but if i used my futaba micro receiver it would be real easy to run out of range. The R114F receiver (the one i have in my parkflyer) has 600 feet of range. Is this an accurate number? Wow. Any feedback appretiated. Thanks
Some of the Berg receivers have rated ranges of over 1/2 mile and are tiny.

You could take a Hitec Micro 555 or Electron 6 and take the case off. You shrink wrap it. Makes it much smaller and lighter. Very common practice. These are 1mile+ receivers.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:32 PM
martin o

As some folks have mentioned, you may be able to fly at greater than 600 feet with this receiver, but you risk losing both your receiver and your glider (as well as the safety of anyone who might get hit by the out-of-control glider) when you exceed the manufacturer's recommended limits. We have enough radio problems even when flying well within the receiver's range. No need to go looking for more problems by exceeding that range.
600 feet should be plenty of distance to have fun with the small gliders you mentioned. Have a friend help you figure out how big your glider looks at 600', relative to the knob at the end of your radio antenna for instance. Then don't let it go beyond that distance. (And don't get caught in any boomer thermals.) If you find you'd like to be flying out near the limits of your vision, start saving for a better receiver.
Good luck and fly safe.