Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with the Estes T25 Centurian?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Anyone have any experience with the Estes T25 Centurian?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience with the Estes T25 Centurian?

I'm thinking of getting the little Estes rocket glider to take with my class for a day of model rocketry.

I'm basically wondering what to expect regarding the quality of the kit, and its flight performance when rocket powered or when powered with a .049 babe bee. Also, Estes claims it'll reach 600' when launched. I'm assuming thats with an E-9P motor. E motors are pretty hard to comeby in Canada since 9/11, so does anyone know what I can expect using D-11Ps?
Finally, what servos and radio gear are needed? I have Tower Hobbies and HS submicros (HS 80s) as well as a JR600 rx that I could use, but am wondering if they would be light enough.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Anyone have any experience with the Estes T25 Centurian?

Well sport looks like you and me i am buying one this week and adding a rc 049 so that means a 3rd channel wish i could tell you about the laws in canada on the boost motors sence 911 but i cant and i have tryed to find out for you from friends who live there but no one knows.i know here in the usa we can still buy them at hobby stores maybe you can call customs and ask them if there is a problem shiping from usa to you and the laws of you useing them there and let me know what they say.maybe if its ok i will ship you some you can pm me and email what you find out
Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 AM
krueg
My Feedback: (1)

I have the old version of the centruion called the "strato blaster". It was a kit built plane back then. I have used D11P and E9P and a cox .049. I have been lauching the plane with rocket motors lately and the E9P rocket motors are the way to go. It makes for a impressive launch you can see here [link=http://killerrc.com/video/stratoblaster/StratoBlater-launch340k.wmv]Strato Blaster Launch[/link]. I have better video, just haven't had time to digitize it. The flights are short and the lightest radio gear you can find should be used. Mine has a cirrus MRX4 receiver, 2 cirrus 4.4 servos, and a 2/3 AAA 300ma battery all very lightweight making for a nice gentle glide for landings. When I run out of rocket motors I slap in the .049 motor. The tank runs out in a couple minutes but is plenty to get the plane too high to see (maybe I need glasses). Flights are much longer and I can glide the plane for 5 minutes before landing. Just have a good place to land smoothly. I broke one of the tail booms on a hard landing, the plane floats for a long time and overshot my landing spot. [link=http://killerrc.com/video/stratoblaster/strato-motor340k.wmv]Here's a video of the flight with the .049[/link].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95767.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	274002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32120.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	274003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26160.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	274004  
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 PM
layback2

I just got mine and the motor i wanted Norvel BIG MIG SPORT .049 R/C - B4R from rc models.com i want a rc 049 for a long time and i have got a 4 once tank for longer flights i my self woint be useing rocket engines but i just want to see what it would do with a rc glow
Old 05-20-2005, 08:59 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loops?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
SpeedSport

I use a cox 0.49 on my strato blaster, and i am very pleased with the flight characteristics, it can do loops because i pulled a double loop today on mine.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 PM
layback2

Cool sport sounds like it sure is a blast i got mine all ready to its test flight the new 049 RC is broken in and all servos is working just fine found a good 3 blade pusher prop for it now if the wind would die down some it would be a Go for her first flight lol lol this is been one bad year for the winds[8D]
Old 05-31-2005, 09:39 PM
SpeedSport

Tis plane is some real fun. Besides the motor i've got a cox 3 blade pusher prop, and that sucker pushes. The plane is a real handful to land if you don't have lots of experience. The best way to launch for me is to grab about mid-fuselage and give her a kinda walk and throw. When i land i usually like to land in a field because of the no landing gear situation. Write back and tell all of us how it goes
Old 06-01-2005, 07:32 AM
layback2

well yesterday was the trial of all trials eveything went great plane flew like a bad a---- ape lol lol all the time it was in the air i was thinking how is it going to land so as i was just getting used to the controls i did some low fly bys to see how low i could get and how low to the ground with out wipeing out and sure enought it did just fine had the power to lift right back up didnt want to land on our run way so the grass next to it did just fine some light scratches but nothing to bad now i am looking for a skid system to keep the plane tail and fuse off the grass and use the run way for landing wow a blast it is cant wait tell next time now
Old 06-01-2005, 09:45 AM
layback2

great krueg

like the rolls it does and moves right along not that heavy when you land to do much damage as long as there is grass to shoften the landing lol lol i was thinking of skids for more even landing on hard services like dirt or our run way maybe i seen some skids that had very small wheels in the center in case to wanted to use a run way they were light weight i am going to check on them to get more info thanks for the videos was cool
Old 06-02-2005, 09:35 PM
layback2

OK guys i did some research and i found some intersting planes still out there one is krueg strato blaster and the T25 we have and a couple more i didnt know were ever around one is the astro blaster another is the sweet vee all are rocket launch gliders the sweet vee is only rocket power glider i found them at a hobby site name happyhobby.com lol lol i was thinking of getting the astro blaster and the strato blaster to complete my set lol lol
Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
krueg

I have seen other rocket powered glider plans out there if your into building from scratch. My Strato Blaster was a kit ten years ago! I thought it was discontinued and brought back as the Centurion ARF. I could be wrong, but if you can find the strato blaster kit, let me know where, I want to build another one! The plans I have are also ten years old, one is a delta wing with two engines called a lady hawk and the other is a front canard called the sky blaster. I ordered them both from RC Modeler magazine way back.

I have only broke one tail boom, one time. It broke loose from the wing and glued back on easily. The rocket engine launches are getting expensive, GO .049 power! I found that if I have a nice long approach and keep the wings level all the way down to the grass the plane seems to float an amazing distance before touching the ground. Making for nice gentle landings.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 AM
layback2

Krueg i found it at www. happyhobby.com they have it call this number and ask for the strato blaster glider you have they will tell you the price the number is 414-461-6013