Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Daydream??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Samson4721

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daydream??

is this plane any good? im looking to start building another kit and am stuck between this and the "skeeter". id like to mainly do hi start launches and thermals maybe toss it down some hills and hand launch it.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:54 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Daydream??

A link for those that want to check it out for you is a nice touch....

http://www.dynaflite.com/reviews/dyfa2018-rcm.html

It's a 2 meter model compared to the Skeeter being a hand launch glider. Apples and oranges..... What size do you want to fly? The highstart used for a 2 meter model is going to try to rip off the wings of the Skeeter and besides the Skeeter won't lift all that line and rubber very well. But if your highstart is set up for smaller models then you will probably want to stick to other smaller models. Otherwise you need a new highstart to suit the new model.

Bigger is often easier to thermal and can follow the thermals out further without becoming visually small too fast. But small will work in tight like on a small slope easier. But neither of these is going to be a good slope model if the wind picks up very much.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Samson4721

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just would like to know some opinions of the daydream or the skeeter since i am unsure what size i would like. how does the daydream perform?? i jsut would like another good floater like my GL since it has seen better days.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:37 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want a floater what about the Skybench version of the Olympic 99? By all accounts (I have not flown one myself) they are the floater's floater. The best part is that your Gentle Lady high start will launch the Oly as well.

But sadly I see that Ray Hayes, the operator of Skybench, is shut down for a couple of months. If you can wait then this may be an option.

Or the Big Bird or Lil Bird (2 meter) with the sexy looking wingtips may intrest you. Anyway have a look at http://www.skybench.com/rcsail.html and hit a few of the links at that point. The Oly is under the RES Nostalgia link along with a lot of other very nice models.

I know this isn't answering your original question but it may expand your options. Good luck with the new project whatever way you go. My own 2 cents is that for general thermal flying the larger models are better. They launch higher and as I said in the other post you can see them at longer distances so you can use a bigger chunk of the sky. The little ones get small really fast so even if it's more than 1/2 the size you can only use about 1/4 the air volume to fly in without loosing perception of the model's shape and direction.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:04 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam,
The Daydream is a good 2m and flys nicely off a hi-start. It's an easy build as well. It does just as well on the slope. If that's what you're looking for, I'd reccommend it highly. Good price too.

papermache