Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

A couple questions about the GP Spectra

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

A couple questions about the GP Spectra

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 03:48 PM
chris92merchant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questions about the GP Spectra

I have ordered a GP Spectra ARF and it should be here soon. I am going to put an AXI 2826/10 in it using a 3s2p lipoly setup.

What is the diameter of the spinner I need to buy? (Since I don’t have the factory one here to measure, and want to get it ordered.)

What other motors have you guys tried with the spectra?
What would you go with now that you know?
I am thinking no one wants to keep the factory motor and prop setup?

I have a lot of experience flying pattern and sport with nitro and have only been into electric for about 5 months. But this is my first electric sailplane. I want to do some thermal chasing but want to be able to have a decent climb out.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Old 04-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Balsa Steel
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: A couple questions about the GP Spectra

quote: "I am thinking no one wants to keep the factory motor and prop setup? "

Mines got a stock setup and I'm still happy with it. It's adequate for me and at 7 bucks a motor, I can go through a ton of them for what a brushless setup costs. Remember, you don't HAVE to go vertical to catch a thermal. (but it IS cool!)
Old 04-23-2005, 02:04 PM
paulcarnes

The Magnetic Mayhem is a good replacement for the stock motor. You can use the same prop or move up a little. Be sure your speed control can handle the juice. If you get something like the GP C-50 (be sure to install the schottky) you can use it on other set-ups.

Paul
Old 05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
BrentJ

The spinner should be about a 1 3/4" diameter. I have this on my Spectra. If you want to make your spectra really awesome go on Tower and order the Spirit Elite wing kit. It has ailerons and flaps and makes the SPECTRA friggin awesome! The best part is that it is a direct fit. The only thing you will have to adjust is the balance to get the correct CG. HAVE FUN!!

Old 08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Dawson
My Feedback: (1)

Chris:
Just came across you post and questionb re: the GP Spectra.

Here's my two cents.
I fly only electrics and have been flying a Spectra for about 18 months now and love it. Ane the best news is that I'm flying it wityh the stock brushed, can motor and prop. I don't recall what the battery recommendation was, but I'm using 8 cells (NiMH), 1950mAh and typically get about 8-10 hard climbs whic, without thermals gives me a 15-17 minute flight. (I'm not a very astute thermal seeker).
What did you end up using?

Dawson Gillaspy
Long Neck, DE
Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Warden

A Spectra was my first electric and I've been flying it for at least ten years now. I'm on the third fuselage but the wing is still original. I started flying it with a servo operated switch for a motor control then moved up to an ESC but I still use the OEM can motor. It seems to me that a high performance motor in a spectra is a little out of place.

I did upgrade the prop to a Graupner 8/4.5 folder and the last time I replaced the fuselage, I added triangular stock in the corners where the sides of the fuselage joined the top and bottom sections, then I filed off the corners down into the triangular section to give the fuse a more rounded shape. While I was at it, I replaced the wing hold down dowels and rubber bands with a single peg in the front of the wing and a nylon hold down bolt at the rear. That mod makes for a very clean attachment.

Anyway, a brushless set-up would get the Spectra up to thermal height a little faster but IMHO, the plane just doesn't need it.

On the other hand, I have a Kyosho Soarus Sports that I replaced the stock can motor with an Aveox brushless. Unlike the polyhedral wing of the Spectra, the Soarus has a flat, aileron equipped wing. The Soarus has a frontal area that's about non-existent so it penetrates extremely well and is really, really faaaaaast! The Soarus will thermal but not nearly as well as the Spectra so with the Soarus, it's zoom up to altitude and then play on the way down.

I like that idea about the Spirit wing. I gotta check that one out!