Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Question about F3B winch use. Pics of my new Clutch Winch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Question about F3B winch use. Pics of my new Clutch Winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 08:29 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about F3B winch use. Pics of my new Clutch Winch

With the one-way brake on an F3B winch to prevent the line from coming off the reel, how do you go about getting the line to come off the plane at the end of a launch without using a releasable tow hook or a zoom launch? Can you use the winch to (safely) launch a plane that doesn't have a releasable tow hook or won't stand a zoom?

Here are some photos of my just-finished Clutch Winch. The starter motor is for a big-block Chevy V8, and the clutch is from an auto AC compressor. Haven't had a chance to put the line on it and try it out yet.

The block box on the front of the winch has the relay and timer circuitry for controlling the clutch and brake. The brake stays on for several seconds after the launch is complete, then releases so the line can be retrieved with minimal effort. The motor armature doesn't turn when the line is being retrieved.

A solenoid-operated one-way brake with a timer circuit might be useful for an F3B winch, so you didn't have to manually release it to retrieve the line.

I'm not sure what you're paying for the one-way brake, but you could make one out of a starter Bendix, which cost very little.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66132.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	255971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27790.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	255972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97855.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	255973  
Old 04-09-2005, 07:16 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about F3B winch use. Pics of my new Clutch Winch

I took the winch out this afternoon and made about a dozen launches. It works just like it's supposed to. At the end of the launch, the clutch releases, the drum spins up quickly to let out the line, and the plane comes off with little loss of speed and altitude. When the line goes slack, the clutch and brake engage to stop the drum. (The brake strap works on the clutch rotor to keep the drum as light as possible.) The brake and clutch release after several seconds so the line can be retrieved.

This Clutch Winch is quieter and smoother than the first one I built, which used a Ford motor. Looks better, too.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43196.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	256220