Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Hi Everyone! Its not RC, but glider plans?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hi Everyone! Its not RC, but glider plans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Cummins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Everyone! Its not RC, but glider plans?

Hi,
I'm new to gliding and new to planes of anysort for that matter. I was wondering whether there was a bunch of people who builds and flies model gliders, but not the RC sort, just a straight chuck it off the hill and hope the best version. I have been experimenting with simple card and dowel things to get the feel for them and was wondering whether there was any plans for a foam or balsa micro glider (non RC)? Preferably about 12" span. And is there any plans (or RC plans which could be used as non-rc) for a bigger one, say, a 30"-60" range? Thanks alot, I'm not sure whether this is entirely the correct place to post this but oh well. If there isn't plans (did I mention that they have to be free - preferably downloadable), is there a decent book which cover the design of such gliders and the aerodynamics involved?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Hi Everyone! Its not RC, but glider plans?

There's no real free flight type of glider for slope soaring but there is a wealth of towline free flight models out there. If you're set on using the slope then do a google search on "magnet steered glider" (without the quotes) and find the info about that form of free flight slope flying. You need some form of steering to keep the model pointed along the slope and stay in the lift zone for as long as practical and for these brave souls magnets that operate like a compass are the way.

Then there's your basic free flight hand launched gliders. Usually about 16 to 14 inches in span and usually all balsa with carved airfoils in the wing. PM me if you're intersted in following up this area. I've got a few sites for you.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Cummins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hi Everyone! Its not RC, but glider plans?

He He, the magnet thing looks like fun...