Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Airbrake / Butterfly for a Glider

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Airbrake / Butterfly for a Glider

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:41 AM
NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrake / Butterfly for a Glider

I am flying a Omega 1,8 Electric Glider and need advise in how to set the butterfly (airbrake) configuration for the glider. I mean how much aileron up or down and how much elevator up or down.

Thank you very much

NV
Old 04-26-2005, 09:57 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Airbrake / Butterfly for a Glider

Very little up or down displacement on full span ailerons. If you are concerned about landing in a confined area you need to cut the ailerons in to 3/5ths of the avalable surface and make flaps out of the inner 2/5ths sections.

If you must try us about 1/8" up on the ailerons as a starting point. However as you give more up you will start to loose roll control. It may even reverse on you.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
NV

Thanks you for your advise.

I would not like to add flaps in order to not add weight.
Which is the correct configuration, to move ailerons up and elevator down or the oposite ?

Thanks,

NV
Old 04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

I have flown the Orion, which is very similar to the omega. I used crow such that both ailerons were up maybe 25 degrees when the flaps were full down, 90 degrees. When the flaps go down, they cause a pitching moment that makes the nose of the plane go down. When the ailerons go up, they do the same thing in reverse (nose up). So, I would put the ailerons up enough to balance the nose-down moment of the flaps.

Just make sure you still have enough aileron to have good control at low speed. I also added a aileron-rudder mix when in crow configuration, so the rudder helped with directional control during approach. With the slight dihedral of this design, the rudder is an effeective contributor to roll control, especially at slow speed.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:13 PM
NV

Thank you John for yor advice. I will fly this weekend, hope to have agood performance.

Thanks again,

NV
Old 04-29-2005, 09:27 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With ailerons only, you really don't have crow/butterfly. I believe that is defined as flaps down/ailerons up and compensation at the elevator to control any tendancy to pitch up or down. Since you don't have flaps, you can't do crow.

What you can do is flapperons or spoilerons. I use spoilerons on one of my slope gliders with full strip ailerons. I use them up/spoilers to help get the plane to settle as I am landing in a confined area. With spoilers you are don't risk introducing tip stall.

I have mine come up about 25-30 degrees. This reduces the lift on the wing so the nose will drop. I think I have about 15-20% up elevator compensation dialed in the same time to keep the plane level. Works well. The plane will settle quickly.

I only use them to set the plane down, so any loss of aileron effect is irrelevent at that point. I am using the rudder when I am that near the ground. I could use them higher to lose altitude quickly without picking up too much speed as well.

I use a Hitec Prism 7X to fly this plane. I have the spoilerons set on a switch.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 AM
NV

Thank you very mucho Ed.
You are right I do not have flaps, so I cant have crow/butterfly. I will try tour recommendation.

Thanks,

NV
Old 06-17-2005, 03:21 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: NV

Thank you very mucho Ed.
You are right I do not have flaps, so I cant have crow/butterfly. I will try tour recommendation.

Thanks,

NV
How did this work for you?