Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Condor Magic 2.9 Glider cooling question

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Condor Magic 2.9 Glider cooling question

Old 05-03-2005, 10:54 PM
mbacon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condor Magic 2.9 Glider cooling question

I have a basic question, but one that's got me stumped. I finally went full bore and bought the Condor Magic 2.9 Glider. I've always wanted a 3 meter sailplane with a folding prop to avoid the hassles I used to encounter in my earlier days of high starts and messy glo-power pods. I'm almost done assembling this beautiful power glider and am using an AXI 4120/18 from model motors, a Graupner 16 x 10 Cam Prop 6mm, a Jeti Models Advance Plus 77A Opto, and a THP604S3P 6000 Mh, 14.8V Li-Poly pack with 10 cells. Boy, was that a mouthful! In no part of the assembly manual is there any information about proper cooling of the batteries and motor. Has anyone built this glider and done a similar install without providing some type of venting? If someone has cut vents, where and how many did they provide, and what did they look like? I've finally got a nice model, and a hefty investment. The last thing I want to do is burn it all up from a nuclear meltdown. Should I be concerned, or am I worrying for nothing? I'd appreciate any help anyone can lend. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Mike Bacon
Old 05-14-2005, 09:51 PM
idmep
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Condor Magic 2.9 Glider cooling question

Have you flown it yet? I have been considered purchasing the same setup with the exception with the less expensive NIMH batteries. Do you have any cooling problem and how does it thermal?

Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
mbacon

Hello idmep,
Yes, I've flown it. It's out of this world! Everyone that's seen it fly has been running to the hobby shop to buy one with the exact same setup as mine. The hobby shop owner is thrilled to say the least. I've had no problems with heat since I made three NASA duct cooling inlets in the plastic canopy. Two in the front on either side of the fuselage, and one on the center top of the canopy to let the air out. It seems to be more than enough cooling since I only use the motor in short 30 second bursts to climb to altitude. Those bursts get me to about 2000 feet in less than a half a minute! Quite impressive. I actually did a 3D maneuver with it for one of the club members. I brought it in slow over the runway centerline, and had the glider at slightly faster than stall speed, and waited for the stall to occur. When it did, I applied full power and did a harrier-like torque roll at eye level with a nine-foot wing. You should have seen the people on the bench that weren't expecting that one! I get about six flights on one charged li-poly pack, with approximately 20 minute flights each. Not bad. That's a real good day of flying. It will thermal but you need excellent conditions for that to happen since the all up weight is quite high. I haven't weighed the assembled glider, but it feels all of 5 to 6 pounds. If you really have to know, I guess I could weigh it the next time I assemble it. Hope this info helps. I have to admit that I've been extremely disappointed with the response (or lack of) I've gotten on this forum. I guess there aren't enough people in this group with good answers. Oh well. I can assure you that if you get the same setup as I have here that you will not regret it for a second. The price is a bit steep (about $1500.00 total) but well worth it in the end. I'm very happy with the Condor Magic 2.9. By the way...I flew it initially with the Graupner 18" x 10 folding blades and it flew extremely well. I felt that the motor would be even more efficient if it were spinning a slightly smaller diameter blade and have fitted the glider with the new Graupner 17" x 10 carbon-fiber blades. I can hardly wait to see the difference. I know I'll get better performance and won't have to ever worry about the motor going thermal. Have fun!
Old 05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
idmep
My Feedback: (2)

Thank you for the detail feedback.

I usually fly a Funtana 90 and UCD 60 type 3D planes. I also have a Goldbery Electra glider, but high performance glider is new to me. I live in El Paso, so there is plenty of thermal condition out here in the desert climate.

Could you email picture of how you add the cooling ducts? My email address is [email protected]

Thx

Jimmy Chan