Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 11:28 AM
cole2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Hi all, iam in need of some advice on getting into Electric Assist gliders or hotliners.

at the moment i fly a 36inch wing with a 3 cell lipo (11.1v), brushless 16/15/5 mega motor and a 6x4 APC prop

this is the glider i like most in size and looks nice scale (not sure how it will fly) http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...lanes_grob.htm

this one good price some advice http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod..._dragonfly.htm

nice size (bit bigger) http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...nes_petrel.htm

any other ideas would be great to

also do i need to put a brushless motor into the glider cause most stock motors suck.

(dont want to spend to much money but dont want to have **** stuff eather)

cheers

Old 05-29-2005, 10:43 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Help please

All three look nice.

Are you looking for a glider for slope soaring or thermal duration?

If you want to go for least money, add a gear box and begger prop for better climb using standard motor.

If you have the money, then go brushless.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:28 AM
cole2

iam looking for good glideing and also speed when i want but i also like to go fast

cheers
Old 05-30-2005, 03:02 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: cole2

iam looking for good glideing and also speed when i want but i also like to go fast

cheers
OK, sounds like you may not be looking to slope or thermal this plane. Sounds like you plan to fly this as a power plane but glide with the motor off at times. I am sure any of these planes with the proper motor/gearbox/prop will serve you well.

I fly slope gliders and I fly thermal duration gliders. I don't fly electric gliders yet, but the ones I am looking at are all oriented toward thermal duration use. That is why I asked.

I can't really advise you on which plane as we are looking for different things in the plane.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:44 AM
cole2

ok thanks for the help, if i was looking to thermal what would you recomend with a motor to take me up to height then thermal with motor off (i dont have a hill near me to slope but live in a very windey city and dont want to launch via bungee)

cheers
Old 05-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Silverhawk
My Feedback: (1)

That's one reason I have a Storm 2M from SOBOX. I like to thermal but once in a while I get a bit crazy with speed. Quite a few (most?) thermal planes really don't like to be abused with aerobatics.

Planes like the Storm have a hollow molded wing and are built to take the rigures of aerobatics but will thermal nicely too. I'm running a F10LMR on 7 to 10 cells to get it up there quickly but you could go a less expensive route and still have fun.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:21 AM
cole2

hi can you please send me a link of where i can buy the storm and what is a good brushless set up for it or would the brush set up be ok

cheers