Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Bird of Time- wing tips

Old 05-29-2005, 01:43 PM
BillL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird of Time- wing tips

I've built a Gentle Lady and a Sagitta 900 some years ago. Both make a point of inducing washout to prevent wing tip stalls. The instruction manual with my BOT kit (currently abuilding) makes no mention of this. The tip of the wings are nearly all D-tube. It's hard to imagine that Monokote could twist those puppies to any degree. If they do need washout should the outboard trailing edge be wedged up before the top sheeting goes on and, if so, how much? Any thoughts, anybody? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:33 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Bird of Time- wing tips

Well I did it with mine just like you said. I packed the triling edge up as I built it on the board, then put the top sheeting on. Its about 10 years ago but I guess I added 3/16 to 1/4 inch at the tips.
A friend built a BOT at the same time and so I have flown this model both with and without washout. It is a very forgiving model without washout but with washout it is outstanding. My model can be mishandled in a ludicrously crass way without biting. This means that I can thermal very slow and low without fear.
I have much more sophisticated all moulded models these days but I will never be without my BOT.
Regards,

John.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:57 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Dave's original plans call for built in wash out in just the last four to six inches.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:10 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,

I did the same as John Mac - added 1/4". Flies great.

papermache
Old 05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
tomfrazier

Bill,

I don't know whos BOT you have but, the Skybench Aerotech Big Bird BOT does not call for any wash-out. It uses the Selig 3014 airfoil and doesn't have tip stall tendencies.

Thermals,
TomF