Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

HLG Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 05:24 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default HLG Gyro

I have a Raptor discus launch HLG. I have been told by most is to install a Gyro. Which gyro is the recomended unit? Also I don't have any room in the nose should i cut a hole through the top of the fuse in the wing sadle area and install on the CG?
Sparky
Old 01-07-2002, 06:02 AM
denete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HLG Gyro

Try the GWS/Cirrus gyro. It is fairly small, lightweight, and only about $50 ($40 when on sale from Hobby People).

Without the case it is pretty slim.

- David
Old 01-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Al Stein

Default HLG Gyro

I haven't used one... how do you use a gyro in a sailplane?
Old 01-08-2002, 09:58 AM
bjaffee

Default HLG Gyro

Gyros are somewhat of a new thing that are being used for disus launched gliders. The sole purpose of the gyro is to keep the plane tracking straight from the moment the plane leaves the launchers hand until it finishes it's climbout. Usually it elimates the need for having a rudder preset in a discus launch plane (because the plane tends to want to roll into the direction of the throw).

Once the plane is done with the launch, the gyro doesn't have much effect on the way the plane flies. The gain is set so low that at normal cruise/thermal speed, it doesn't do much (it can actually be a hindrence if set to high because it will make the plane damp out the more subtle attitude changes you look for to indicate lift).
Old 01-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Al Stein

Default HLG Gyro

Got it... thanks for the enlightenment.
I haven't tried the discus launch yet, so that didn't occur to me.