Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Is Spirit 100 ARF illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:44 AM
F-89 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Spirit 100 ARF illegal?

The Spirit 100 ARF comes with what might be construed as a "skeg" molded into the fuselage. This is a "streamlining" protrusion in front of the launch hook. Has the AMA Rules Committee given a ruling on whether or not this protrusion makes this bird legal for AMA competition? I don't want to buy a model that can't legally be entered into AMA-sanctioned soaring contests.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM
rscarawa

Default RE: Is Spirit 100 ARF illegal?

I would think that can be fixed if it is illegal. You can probably just put some glass cloth on the inside and cut it off. Then smooth it over after that. I would love to have the glass fuse. I may pick up the fuse myself since I like the way it looks.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 AM
rscarawa

I kind of wonder if they consider that a skeg since it is swept rearward. Other skegs that I have seen are forward sweeping to really stop the plane. I would tend to think that the protrusion on the bottom will not break the plane any faster than landing on the tow hook would.

I am looking at the rules now and cannot see anything regarding a skeg. http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/05.../RCsoaring.pdf
Old 07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fellas,

The rules prohibit the use of "landing arrestor devices"(rule 3.1.7.3.2) which I'm pretty sure a skeg is. I have not given more than a cursory glance to the Spirit 100 ARF, so I can't say if this "protrusion" is or is not a "landing arrestor device".

I guess this would have to be a judge's call, but I can't for the life of me see where a company like Great Planes would let a design get through the manufacturing stage with an obvious illegality attatched. But then the Chinese factory probably didn't havea copy of ther AMA rules handy.

papermache
Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 PM
rscarawa

From looking at the rules, everything under 3.1.7 is related to Nostalgia class events.

3.1.7 For Event 461: Nostalgia

The rule you are spec-ing is 3.1.7.3.2. Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I would think that 3.1.7.3.2 falls under 3.1.7. I am no lawyer though[sm=confused.gif]

The Spirit 100 falls in as Class C- Standard Class Sailplane. Greater than 2 meter but less than 100 inch. This is section 3.1.3. It would seem intelligent to me that if they wanted to cover more types of sailplanes with the 3.1.7.3.2 rule, it would start with 3.1.

You may want to call AMA and ask them if this rule applies to all classes or not. When you find out, please post back.

Thx

Scot
Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
rscarawa

When I look at some of the other rules in the same section, they do not seem Nostalgia specific. I am confused myself.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the skeg a thing postioned aft of the tow hook, with the intent of forcing the nose into the ground?
A streamlined thing in front of the tow hook wouldn't do this.. and may not be covered under the defintion of a skeg.
And I put those on to keep the hook from damage when landing on hard surfaces.. not to keep the nose on the ground.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
rscarawa

In looking at the Genie, they put the tooth under the nose with the sweep of the tooth facing forward. It appears to almost be an emergency brake It must stop on a dime.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 PM
F-89 Driver

Comment: "I can't for the life of me see where a company like Great Planes would let a design get through the manufacturing stage with an obvious illegality attatched."

Well, for what it's worth, here's the reply I received from Great Planes when I inquired about same: " - - I don't know what the rules are for the AMA.--" This was signed by "Ted" from the Product Support Division at Great Planes.

So, it does appear that Great Planes might actually design models without consideration of AMA contest rules. (Perhaps "Ted" isn't in a position to know for sure. At least, I hope that's the case!)

However, thanx to comments made in this forum, I've re-read 3.1.7.3.2 and now feel that I was initially taking it out of context. I now have to agree that it actually applies only to "nostalgia" sailplanes. Since the Spirit 100 ARF is not a nostalgia bird, the rule obviously doesn't apply. I can purchase the plane without concern for that "streamlining" protrusion ahead of the launch hook. Thanx for the info, everybody.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Use skegs all the time in local and regional contests. All classes. Better to have the sailplane stop where you want it than to have it skid through and take out a few shins. Never had one incident where the skeg caused any injury. Have had a few broken feet from a sailplane sliding through the landing areas.