Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Large Ridge Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
JakeInHartsel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Ridge Soarer

I am looking for guidlines and/or plans for a fairly large ridge soarer. By large I mean 8 to 10 feet wingspan. I live on a ridge up in the mountains and would like to fly it off my deck. I need the large size so that I can see the thing, my eyes aren't great and it could easily get a 1/4 mile away.

JakeInHartsel
Old 08-04-2005, 08:03 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Large Ridge Soarer

I suggest starting with a foam (EPP) wing. These can be flown in close not straining one's eyes. Also these will "bounce" when they "land"!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in Hartzel before. And you have wind. Good wind. I would think that you also need something that could penetrate those gusts too.

Wm.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 PM
JakeInHartsel

You are correct about the wind here, but fortunately the prevailing Summer wind is perpendicular to the ridge that i live on. My preference is a built You are correct on the wind, fortunately it is perpendicular to the ridge up plane with good wind penetration and ailerons. I don't mind too much if i wreck one, that is it doesn't bounce, because I enjoy building as much as flying.

If you get up here again, give me a call and drop over.

Jake
Old 08-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Mirek

Hi Jake -- I have what You are looking for , write me PM. , just for that strong slope You have .

Mirek J.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

http://www.rc-dymond.com/Electric/El...61783Blitz.htm

If it gets low, start the motor up and bring it home

Don
Old 08-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Mirek

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

???
Old 08-05-2005, 07:03 PM
hattend

Is that I question to me?

I'll say yes...no wait, no!...uh... maybe?

Don
Old 08-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Mirek

Hi Don ---Your recomendation for strong slpoe flyer is ????? . My PC. is going ................
today .

Have nice flying ..................

Mirek J.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:32 PM
hattend

Dymond Blitz

or
any of these: http://www.nesail.com/categories.php...240364141ed9a6

or

any of these: http://www.icare-rc.com/slope.htm I have the Hera (older version than the one sold now) and it kicks butt on the slope

Don
Old 08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Google: "Skyking" he makes the Daves Aircraft Works KA-6 now. Its a 3 meter Foam scale glider, but its made from EPP foam which makes it more bounceable than your averge large model. It can thermal, be towed up, winched up, or flown on a slope. Larger flies better by the way, so youre already heading down the right road. Once you get a full season flying that thing, check out some of the 3-4-5 meter scale models available. They are a hoot to fly (though difficult to land well), hopefully you have a good landing area mapped out. It may be easier to build a bench out at the landing area and fly there. Hey, I live in a great flying area ,and I'm already jealous...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:27 AM
mars

ORIGINAL: JakeInHartsel

You are correct about the wind here, but fortunately the prevailing Summer wind is perpendicular to the ridge that i live on. My preference is a built You are correct on the wind, fortunately it is perpendicular to the ridge up plane with good wind penetration and ailerons. I don't mind too much if i wreck one, that is it doesn't bounce, because I enjoy building as much as flying.

If you get up here again, give me a call and drop over.

Jake
Hey Jake, Im in Fairplay. Wanna go slopin?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:30 AM
mars

We thermal the hay meadows here, and have some good slope sites as well. Have you ever flown with SPARCS? You know we have a AMA field in Fairplay right?

Mark
Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 PM
JakeInHartsel

Didn't know there was any model activity in Fairplay. I am just off Elkhorn Road between 285 and 24 so not far from Fairplay. I don't have anything flyable except a couple of small electrics. I have a J3 about half done, but I keep running out of time to work on it. Would like to meet you and some of the others and for the moment watch you fly. Drop me an email or give me a call.

Jake
837-2580
[email protected]
Old 08-08-2005, 02:40 PM
mars

Hey Jake!

Yes there is a fairly large following up here in the high country. There are two clubs SPARCS and Super77th. The 77th is about to have our annual combat weekend. Should be several Summit, Park, Eagle county flyers there.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3208142
The 77th isnt as active as sparcs but we do get together once a year.
http://www.stenulson.net/rcflight/rcflight.htm
Bruce is my nieghbor, hes been in the hobby for decades. Im only into my second. Anyway Elkhorn rd is by como isnt it? Mexican Ridge, Look Out point, and King Slope are all right there. We still slope but Ive gotten into electrics as of late. There are just too many planes I want to build. We would have to hit the lift right to go slopin on any given day. Why dont you just stop by my house sometime, see what I flying.
CoRd 18 frist left is bristlecone. 220 Bristlecone ln
Mark
Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
JakeInHartsel

I will do that. What kind of electronics? I have some projects along those lines as well, but most are currently on the back burner. You are right, Elkhorn is just past the turn off to Como and it is a turn to the right (South). I am down the road about 18 miles. I can give you detailed directions if you wish.

BTW when are you generally home? Where is the field and when are there generally people there. Maybe I will try to make a meeting.

I am retired so am generally availalable, but also have a fair number of demands on my time.

Jake
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
mars

On a late day of work I get home at mon-fri 4-5pm. Average is 2-3pm. If there are 2 cars in the drive then I should be home. Anytime is good. No stress, when ever your in the area. Im flying electric fan folds, but have plans for a balsa one in the works.

The field is by the baseball fields in fairplay. We also have permission to fly dry lake as well.

The Northern end of Elkhorn rd, before Arrow Head(I think thats the road), has a road up a ridge to a street called Look Out Point. You can park right there, walk about 50" and fly. Easiest slope site to get to Ive ever seen in Colorado. Mexican is a hike, King is like Look Out Pt. Drive, park, fly. Of course for the big wind it helps to go above tree line.
We've seen HUGE wind on Williams peak. Slopers fully balasted, and tucked in for penetration. Landing in the big winds are the scary part, untill you figure it out. Foamies are the way to go for that. Save the balsa for thermaling the hay meadows. The Rockies are just that, rocky. Bruce might have a 60"sloper kit to sell. SD6060 airfoil. I have one, fantastic flier. Mines built for big wind, aka lead sled or brick.

Heres a pick of the 60" Viking at Look Out Point w/ me at the sticks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25533.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	307630  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:05 AM
JakeInHartsel

I will drop by your house one of these days, probably in the next week or two. If you get out on Elkhorn you are welcome to do the same. Go South on Elkhorn approximately 12 miles past the fire station until you see a low sign on the right that says Camelot Logan Hill. There is also a street sign that says Camelot, turn in there (right). After a hundred yards or so you have to make a right turn. then make the next left about 100 yards (Galahad Way). Stay on Galahad Way for about two miles and you will come up to the top of what I hope will be my soaring ridge. The House is on the right a Cedar House just off the road. Come in. We are not always there as I have some activities in Buena Vista that take me there about three times a week, so it may be worthwhile to call first, but either way you are welcome.

Jake (Glenn Jacobs)
837-2580