Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

glider towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 05:18 AM
bipe22
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glider towing

looking for info on towing an how to make the release for tow plane

thanks pat
Old 01-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default glider towing

Simple release, but not too good for anything not bouncy.
we just bend a hook 150 degrees and tape it to the top of the glider on the nose, fix the string to the tug ( fun fly for us ) fixed on the bottom ON!! the CofG.
the tug takes off, and the glider pilot keeps about 1/2 down stick to keep the glider below the plane. when you wanna drop off, the plane slows down, the glider over takes underneeth and the line drops off.
very simple.
http://www.rcflyers.fsnet.co.uk/aerotow.htm

the white bit is a 8" wing band to stop snatching.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:11 PM
dgliderguy

Default glider towing

Bipe22,

You need to go to John Derstine's Scale Soaring page, and read the article on aerotowing!

http://www.scalesoaring.net/tow.html

Aerotowing is by far the most enjoyable and exciting way to launch a scale sailplane, and the only way to launch the big heavies (over 10lbs).
Old 01-09-2002, 11:34 PM
wdratsloper

Default glider towing

Hi Pat,
Here's an address with some pictures of one of our tow hook
setups.The release on the plane is setup to release gliders and
drop our skydivers.
Tow hooks
Old 01-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Cactus.

Default glider towing

i've just heard Graupner have got a new release.
the only details the mag gives is its £12.95 and can be used by either tug or glider.
The pic which i think matches it, looks to be a tube you put your line into and a servo releases it, the ball method i think, sommit similar anyway.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:52 AM
dryflyer

Default glider towing

Hey Joe,
Is that one of them there Mogs on your post? I think I got one somewhere in my shop, covered in dust. Your photo must have been taken just B4 the rest of the "Rat Pack" came in for the kill!
See Ya at the field
Randy
Old 02-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Towing with a Giant Aeromaster

I am getting ready to build a GP Giant Aeromaster with a G-62. I want to set it up to tow gliders but this is a new arena for me.

Dumb Questions: If I set up the tow release just behind the cockpit, how does the tow line keep from interfering with the vertical stab/rudder? If I use stab support wires, does the tow line go below one of the upper wires next to the right or left side of the fuselage or outboard of the wires?

Have any of you used a Giant Aeromaster for towing and how did you set it up? Do you have photos that you could send me?

I've been flying R/C since 1967 (mostly warbirds and biplanes) and want to try this. The next thing I need to do is to find is a victum in the area willing to build a sailplane and enter this venture with me. Any words of wisdom, such as "DON'T" or ..... will be appreciated. I've read all of the posts under this heading and looked at the links. Very good info.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-13-2002, 08:31 PM
SoarNeck

Default glider towing

Probably the best thing you could do right now is order the "Scale Aerotowing" video from Paul Naton at www.radiocarbonart.com

I recieved my copy last week, and have already watched it three times! It shows a lot of what you need to know, and SEEING it is much better than reading about it.