Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

ARF Electric Gliders??

Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 AM
rcs1313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF Electric Gliders??

I am not getting any response from the electric bunch so I will try this side and see if I can roust out some info........

Guy's I am looking for information on purchasing an electric glider that I can have drop shipped to upper Vermont. I have a non-flying(at this time) friend whom would like to fly but has no access to flying fields but has lots of high grass pasture at his disposal. An electric glider would be just the ticket for him. He is going on 69 yrs young.....

I would like to have a recommendation for an ARF that has a fairly long wing span---read that easier to see......and what else will be needed to get it into the air. I have a fair supply of radios as I fly all sorts of jets(turbine) ducted fan and large and small scale prop planes.....what would be the recommendation of this group so that I can order and have it shipped?

I live in Boise, Id and am going up to Vermont to visit this close friend in mid September....

ARF with motor? Batteries? charger? servo's? etc, etc???

Thanks in advance--any help will be appreciated....

Rod Springer

Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: ARF Electric Gliders??

okay, I'll give it a shot...my buddy who was in the same age bracket had a Goldberg Electra. I see it is now out as an ARF:

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/electraarf.htm

You have to inquire as to what is included, but we used standard servos, a 25 amp speed controller( with BEC), and a 7 cell nicad pack..rudimentary and stone age, but it was simple and worked, and he had a lot of enjoyable flights with it.... One tip..keep the elevator travel at the minimum recommended,....they tend to be very pitch sensitive for us power guys...
Old 08-23-2005, 01:57 AM
Spacey

The electra would work and is a good suggestion. I fly mine also with standard servos and reciever. I chucked out the std mabuchi motor that comes with the plane (Well it only lasted 3 flights) and now use a Graupner Speed 600 race 7.2V motor in mine. This motor is also just a simple brushed motor and obviously not the best setup. I use a Graupner CAM 7X4 I think it was folding prop on it with a normal Wattage IC-30Amp speed controller. The batteries for this setup I got is a normal 8 cell Sub C 1900mah pack. Now this works and gets the plane up well but dang it's not ideal trust me. She is still not nearly overpowered and this can complicate matters for folks that aren't used to guiding gliders up. Also note that this setup is STRICTLY LIMIT MOTOR RUN!!. You can't leave the motor on for longer than say a minute or you'll burn something up simply because things get a little hot in there. After a minute or so of motor you have to glide a little while and give things a chance to cool down before you can touch the throttle again.

I would stick with the electra or something similar for the plane but rather put a nice big AXI outrunner or something similar in it for user friendlyness. The brushless motor will just last so much longer and obviously get the plane up quicker. I would still stay away from lipos as the cost in that is simply going to be too much. Rather look at a nice 8 cell GP2200 pack or something similar. I can blabber on for several minutes but am not going to. The setup I posted in the first paragraph is one of the cheapest setups that will work well. A small add on to that would be a gearbox and a change of prop which will lighten things up alot. You'll be able to reduce battery size and get a little more grunt out of the sp600. Just way too many options to list right now. It'll take up 5 pages worth. LOL
Old 08-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Spacey...my buddy was from Port Elizabeth....unfortunately, he succumbed to cancer 2 years ago..
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 PM
rcs1313

thanks for the info guys......I have got to make a decision soon......din't want to have to build or fabricate much as my tools, etc are not going with me...... but some good info here to dwell on....

Thanks

Rod Springer
Old 08-24-2005, 03:29 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: nony

Spacey...my buddy was from Port Elizabeth....unfortunately, he succumbed to cancer 2 years ago..
Nony sorry to hear that. I had a girlfriend which was from Canada when I was still living in my hometown. She had since crossed back over the pond again. Can't say I miss her as the world turns and we move on but she was a gem at the time indeed.

Rod I sure hope you get what you need. Heck I wish I could help you more really but I would need more information and definitely some more details on the amount of money your friend wants to spend. The stock setup that comes with the Electra ARF will fly it but I would definitely upgrade it right from the start. If you need more help or if I can help please let me know so we can get your friend gliding.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Terror Dactyl

You might even want to think about the Horizon Hobbies "Aerobird Xtreeme". It is a ready to fly with a five foot wingspan and is a highly visible yellow.

Horizon will drop ship anywhere.

I have seen a few folks learn to fly and thermal with this setup.