Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Windstar EP RTF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Thunder Tiger Windstar EP RTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:50 AM
erauskydiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Windstar EP RTF

Hey everybody,

Long time reader, first time poster...

OK, I've recently acquired a Thunder Tiger Windstar EP RTF. I love the airframe, but I believe the electronics in it are crap.
The radio system is only 2 Channel (Elevator and Rudder). I guess you just start the motor and let it run at a constant speed until the the autocutoff stops it. I'm not even sure if the autocutoff will brake the motor so that the prop can fold. Personally, I dont like the idea of having no control over the throttle. It doesn't seem very safe.

I've been flying RTF parkflyers for a while, but this is my first powered glider. So, I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as a good electonic set up in this thing.

Here's what it currently has:

Trasmitter: Ace R/C Commander 2 Channel 8215 (27mhz)
Receiver: Ace R/C TR-202A (2-Channel)
Auto Cutoff: Ace R/C Autocutoff Continuous current: 30A Max, Input Voltage: 7.2-8.4V
Servos: 2 Ace R/C S1903
Motor: Mabuchi 540PH
Battery: Ace Power 7.2V 1500 MAH
Charger: Panda NiCad 12V DC Charger (have to actually clip it to the car battery... how lame is that?)

Also, whatever I get, I'd like to be able use use the the radio/servo combo in other aircraft. Since I mainly fly parkflyers, I'm wondering if I it is possible to equip this aircraft with the smaller servos that are typically found in parkflyers. The ones in it are larger than what I'm used to seeing in my RTF Parkflyers. Does size necessarily mean more power when it comes to servos? I would think that smaller servos would have the added benefit of less weight.

I'm not looking for blazing speed and power. I just want to be able to get her up in the air so I can shut the motor down and glide.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:41 PM
paulcarnes

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Windstar EP RTF

I fly my windstar with a three chanel AM radio and two hs-81 servos. The power plant is a Magnetic Mayhem into a 3.8/1 inline gearbox and a 12x10 folding prop. Speed control is a GP-50. Batteries are seven cell 1200 mah nicds. The rig runs at about 130 watts. You could probably get by without the gearbox using a 8x4 or 8x6 folder.

Paul
Old 09-27-2005, 03:26 PM
pcsketch

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Windstar EP RTF

What ever you do get a speed control so you can turn the motor off and back on! Always save a bit of battery for landing.... nice to be able to restart the motor to streach the glide, some times you have to abort the landing and circle around and land on your second try. Safety first, Fun second, Rules third.