Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Big Excel, Any Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
dagnythepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Excel, Any Opinion?

I have my eyes on Big Excel from Hobby Lobby. Any one has any opinion please?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bigexcel.htm

Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2005, 06:06 PM
POPJINX

Default RE: Big Excel, Any Opinion?

I've had my eyes on it, too. I became hooked on the hotliner idea when I modified an Aspire EP with a AXI 282010 and TP4200 Lipoly. I consider it my 1st real plane (ok... the Aerobird was really the 1st). The Aspire in it's current modified state will climb straight up, but is not designed for speed and the wing will flutter when agravated by too much throttle or down elevator. Anyway, I've gotten the itch for more POWER and PERFORMANCE!

In preparation for purchasing the Excel, I bought the AXI 412018 and recommended Jeti 77 Opto ESC and a UBEC. I chose 2 Falcon 11.1v 6000mAh batteries and serial connector to get 22.2v. I put the motor/battery with a 14X7 prop combination on a spad plane and it rocks. I suppose I'll pick up the recommended servos here and there, and maybe one day bite the bullet and purchase the Big Excel.

It would be nice to hear from those who have purchased the Big Excel and get some opinions.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM
hvoigt

I've been flying the Big Excel for a couple of months now...love the thing! 104 oz., B50-11S 6.7:1, Kokam 4S 3200mah, CFK 15 x 9.5, Hoopes wiring harness. It pulls about 48 amps. No problems with assembly and it's just a joy to fly. Thermals well in moderate lift and pretty quick when you lower the nose. Aerobatics are effortless and smooth. Try one, you'll like it! HAV
Old 11-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Magna

Big excel came about when Simprop have a very successful platform with the Excel Competition II. Now on version II. I have the version II, also v tail.

This bird can thermal very well, can go fast and slow. I won't call it hotliner, more like warmliner. It does go fast on dive but the Excel is really meant for gliding and coring thermal. The excel is only 2.2M and come with MH airfoil.

Even without thermal, on 10Gp3300 on B50 7s on 16x10, I get 2mins power that hit 30 mins with ease. I have done 45 mins too. With lighter setup, I should go for 1hr possibly on 8 cell.