Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

ready for trim flights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:19 PM
wolfCDN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ready for trim flights

iam ready to start trim flights with a new GL and will be looking for tall grass,how hard should i toss it ? and should i aim it
nose level ? thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ready for trim flights

nose level and hard enough to give it a little speed. Remember, this is for trimming, not distance. Before you throw it, though, make sure you've checked your CG (balance point), the power is on and the controls move the correct way. You're going to love the GL. Good luck.

papermache
Old 09-20-2005, 12:03 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Before you let it go try a lot of running with the model held overhead. If there's any sort of headwind at all you can actually feel the trim of the model before you ever have to let it go.

Hold the model at the balance point lightly between your thumb and first two fingers overhead but with a comfy bent arm. Now run directly into the wind and try to feel the model. First off you're looking for it trying to rotate the nose up and try to climb hard out of your hand. That indicates that you need a few clicks of down trim. Alternately if the model does not get light in your fingers at all it needs some up trim. A Gentle Lady, and similar models, will feel light and bouyant but not show any sign of ripping out of your grip with about a 10 mph flying speed so if the wind is 5 to 7 mph and you're jogging at another 3 the model should be pretty much weightless. Even if it's dead calm a 6 to 7 mph sprint should have it feeling light but stable in your grip. I've actually been able to run along with a model like this and just let go and have the model hover over my hand for a moment before I reach up and grab it again.

If in doubt about if it's trying to pitch up too much or doesn't want to lift at all don't be afraid to move the trims around and get the sense of the extremes I'm talking about. If you can tie your own shoelaces you can feel this sort of response once you know what you're looking for. Once you know what the extremes are re-trim for the balance and you're good, or at least close enough.

Once it feels well behaved and you can let it float over your hand for a second at a time without it getting away you can do another jogging run and this time launch the model. If it's windy enough that it feels weightless in your grip then don't throw it at all, just gently push it forward without any real force at all while you are jogging and then stop once it's released. If it's less windy then you'll need to push it harder from the jog. At no time should you need to javelin throw it if you are starting from a jog/run pace. The nose should be level when it leaves your hand.

Best of luck with your new model. It's always an exciting moment.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

BMatthews,
as always you hit right on the head.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:00 PM
wolfCDN

great tips !!!!!!!! thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: kamakasi

BMatthews,
as always you hit right on the head.
That explains all the lumps and scars on my head from passing through the School of Hard Knocks so often....

I forgot to relate that I came up with the run and trim method after busting an out of trim model on it's very first test glide. The CG was fine but the elevator trim was out and it dorked and broke the tail off before I could get my hand onto the stick to pull back. The very next model and everyone since that is suitable has been tested as per above. This includes my 5.5 lb 86 inch span 10 inch deep fuselage Flamingo old timer... now THAT was a handful!