Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

glider question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
sunnyc123abc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glider question

I saw a glider the other day where the guy held it by its wing and threw it in the air. Im new to gliders, so i was wondering if that glider has a special name, and how much the cost..thanxs
Old 09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Wazmo

Default RE: glider question

Discus Launch Glider. It's a variation of a Hand Launch Glider. Cost varies by technology and sophistication.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAG3&P=0]Fling DLG[/link]
Old 09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

DLG = Discus Launch Glider... you can purchase these at any place that sells gliders... One place that has some very good planes is [link=http://www.arthobby.com]ArtHobby[/link] you cant beat the price for what you you get. I've built the Hyper DLG and am fixing to start on the Hybrid. I think I might have a pic in my gallery of the hyper I built, If not there is a pic on the art hobby site.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:12 AM
sunnyc123abc

cool, thats the one. are they easy to fly since they don't have a motor to pull them up?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:25 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

They are as easy to fly as any other sailplane... You just have to practice your DL throw. You can get the aileron versions and poly versions which ever you like. You can also launch them with a an up start. If you look on the ArtHobby site it shows and tells you how to make a home made up start an I believe it even has a video of a hyper being DL'ed
Old 09-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Spacey

If you're interested you can also look at the Quickflick DLG which is now produced as a short kit by Laser Arts in the USA. It's also a free plan on the internet for scratch builders. It's a little smaller than the competition DLG's but you can put one in the air for probably under a $100 if you play it nicely. The short kits sell for something around $20 and the add ons onto that is minimal. When I say $100 into the air I mean $100 into the air radio gear etc included. Give me a buzz if you want more info but it's going to require some basic building skills from you however my Quickflicks taught me how to scratch build and they fly great. Their all built up balsa with a carbon boom (Arrow shaft) and some carbon rovings (Available from tower hobbies and easy to work with). I think it's a great into into DLG flying and will save you the pucker factor of learning how to launch on a $400 DLG. And yes I am friends with the designer of the Quickflick but I only posted this because I think it's an awesome design for beginners to get into DLG. I don't get any compensation for making this post
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17647.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	330007  
Old 09-27-2005, 02:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: sunnyc123abc

cool, thats the one. are they easy to fly since they don't have a motor to pull them up?
They are as easy to fly as any other sailplane as mentioned already. But learning to observe the model and see how it reacts to the air and take advantage of thermals is an artful skill that will take you some time to master. But it's the mastering of that skill that makes soaring so interesting and rewarding.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
sunnyc123abc

hey spacey, where can i get on of those
Old 09-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Spacey

Go check out Laser-Art's page on the QFII. Sorry I had the price wrong it's only $15 for the short kit. They also have links on that page to the respective build threads covering the entire plane from top to toes from launch tehniques to flying and trimming blah blah. The designer is involved very actively in short kit thread so feel free to jump in and ask questions. You'll get the right answers. It's no competition DLG but it's been logged for a 122feet launch. Not bad for a built up 50" plane.

Here's the link to laser art's page:
http://www.laserarts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=202

Oh and check out the specifications page! It'll show you what you'll still need on top of the short kit briefly. And please if you have any doubts feel free to get in touch with me again. I'll help where I can.