Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Couple Sr Tele towing videos

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Couple Sr Tele towing videos

Old 10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
wdratsloper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Sr Tele towing videos

We started doing some Towing again. Forgot how much fun it was.
Here's a couple videos of the good times.
[link=http://www.rogue-eagles.com/joestagg/AeroTowing09250502.wmv]Sr. Tele towing 2m Spirit DAWKA6 Riser 100 on 9-25-05[/link]
[link=http://www.rogue-eagles.com/joestagg/aerotowing10090506.wmv]Sr.Tele towing Sig Spirit and DAW kA6 on 10-25-05 (split screen)[/link]
Old 10-16-2005, 04:49 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Couple Sr Tele towing videos

dang I have got to try that. Anyway to use a conventional tow-hook set up on the sailplane?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:10 PM
wdratsloper

If I remember right, that would cause the nose to pull up too much. Sometimes we just put a small eye hook in the nose. Then anchor fishing line solid to the tow plane, run the line through the eye hook and back to the tugs release pin. With 6 to 10 lb test, the line can be broken in case of trouble. Here's a video from a couple years ago of a quicky tow setup at the field. The glider is a EPP slope Mig3.
[link=http://www.rogue-eagles.com/joestagg/Srtele towing Mig3.wmv]SrTele Towing Mig3[/link]
Old 10-18-2005, 01:24 PM
jooNorway

No, you can`t use the regular tow-hook for aero-towing!

wdratsloper : I think you use both too short line and too thin line. We usually tow using 4mm perlon-line at 25-40 meter lenght depending on the sailplane size. 30 meter suits small gliders at appr 3m VS... A heavy line reduce the sudden pulling during tow... Add 3-5 flags to the line to get better control of what happends up there.
It is risky to tow sailplanes which do not have ailerons... The only rudder in use on the sailplane during towing is usually the ailerons... Using rudder causes the sailplane to drift too much sideways.

It is safest to have release possibilities on both planes. And most common!.

This weekend I experienced my very first servo-failure on the tow-release in my sailplane [&:] Hard to discuss and decide what to do when our planes were at 600 meter (2000 ft) refusing to separate... We decided to let go of the tow-line at the TUG to ensure the TUG got down safe, and I had to fly my sailplane some minutes with the 35 meter towline and flags dragging behind. Yes it dragged.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 PM
wdratsloper

On the first videos, the way we usually tow, there is about 50 to 60 foot of tow line-a flag setup-and 10lb. fishing line. Also two releases, one at the tow plane and one at the glider. On the last video, the glider is a slope combat plane with ailerons and elevator. My sons glider is so light that I was towing almost vertical. It was pretty much dragging dead weight up to the top and letting it go.[8D] I guess on the last video, we could have used much heavier line, but then if something happened how would we have gotten disconnected? But with the 6lb. test fishing line we can steer apart and break away. When running a break away line you have to learn to tow gently. A long time ago some of our friends had a pair go down because they couldn't break apart.

Why, even on our skydivers run a safety chute!
[link=http://www.rogue-eagles.com/joestagg/Weeble RCSkydiver drop.wmv]Weeble the Skydiver safety education drop.[/link]
Old 10-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jooNorway

and I had to fly my sailplane some minutes with the 35 meter towline and flags dragging behind.
You guys tow your models with a line that's over 114ft long?!!!! No wonder you need so many flags between you and the tug! Thats about the length of a full scale rope! Joe's "short" line does just fine for us. BTW; the yellow Ka6e known as the "Dieter Eater" is mine.

Randy