Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope soarer help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Ozelot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope soarer help needed...

I am thinking about a slope soarer for the stronger winds, up to 20 meter/second. The basic layout will be like Sig Samurai, I.E, fixed tail and all moving wings. The Samurai has been around for quite a while so there must be a more efficient wing profile available. The wingspan will be around 1350 to 1400mm and the tail will be of V-tail type. Provisions for ballasting will be included. First shot will be a "proof of concept" model with a fuselage from a scrapped "Satanique" of french origin. (Heard of that one? No? I'm not surprised...)

My two questions to you guys are;

-What wing profile should I use?

-Control philosophy for the ailerons. In order to get differential ailerons, should for example only the left wing move when turning left?

So, throw your gloves and let the argument begin...

Ozelot
Old 10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Slope soarer help needed...

Hhere is a link for specific hardware:

http://www.monkeytumble.com/winchdoc/wingeronwear.htm
Old 10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
TFLG

Or....you could just save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a Airtech Pixel. 168euros and your nearly in the air. It's a great flying plane. Airtech has a few other decent slopers that won't break the bank too.

http://www.airtech-rc.com/modelesreduits/eng/pixel.html

TFLG
Old 10-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Jart

Possible profiles:
RG-14
RG-15
6062 (or 60 or 61)

Actuation:
Both wings rotate. If you want a pitcheron, both wings move up or down a little while rotating to provide lateral movement. Wouldn't worry about differential to start. See if you get axial without it first.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Ozelot

Thanks for the input guys. A flight report will come but not until the spring.

Ozelot
Old 10-23-2005, 02:51 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For slope and if you intend to fly inverted much of the time I would suggest a thin symetrical section. If you'll be upright at least 80% of the time then the RG airfoils or others with 1 to 1.5% camber max are some good options.

Differential in the wingerons won't work since there will be a pitching component causing the model to pitch down as well as roll when the one wing side angles down. To balance out the pitching component you'll end up using up wingeron and the net result is that the wings will move evenly for a roll. So you may as well just make them both move together evenly.

With wingeron you must be careful not to use much stick input when slow and low. A sudden call for a "bank and yank" at low speeds WILL result in a tip stall and snap roll or at least a fall off to a spiral dive in the opposite direction as commanded. Small inputs of both roll and elevator when flying near the stall are needed. At speed anything goes.