Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

4meter sail plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 PM
dawie22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4meter sail plane

i am thinking about a 4meter robbe AS w17 sailplane, which i think i could make an engine pod for (a 25 or pos a 40) to get here up as my slope is well not realy a slope wit trees at the end of the feild (about 400m long). now im thinking is it pos for 1 man to hand launch a 4m sailplane or am i just nuts.

the reason i cant tow ect basicly because there is no flat streches long enough to take of from (privet land that a farmer has given me permition to fly in and boy is there plenty of it )

and on the sub how much space is needed for landing one of these birds...

are they any good in flat-ish areas??

darv
Old 10-26-2005, 05:14 PM
dawie22

Default RE: 4meter sail plane

ps at present i have had experiance with 3 west wings orions (yes 3 over the years) 2 of witch have had .049's atached to there noses (to get up) and a few other plan built models for soaring.

on the orions i would on average have 5 mins of fuel to get up and then would soar for around an adverage about 45mins- 1hour.. ABSOLUTLY Great
Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a plane that big I would get a big outrunner electric motor and mount it in the nose with a folding propeller.

An IC powerpod will look really out of place on that beautiful ship. Not to mention draggy and ugly.

Don
Old 10-26-2005, 06:49 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dawie,
Check out the "Condor Voodoo" from Hobby Lobby. It looks like it's just about right for your situation.

papermache
Old 10-26-2005, 06:51 PM
dawie22

i had a look at the Condor Voodoo and im going to make some phone calls tomorrow, im just worried that the price will rise very quicly as its elec and with lipo's (not have the chargers ect). on the ic side of things i can easly make a pod to keep drag down to amin and its a lil cheaper as have all the stuff, but will look into it thank you

ps anything you can sugest in the electrics as have never used im my 7-8 years now of RC for some reason
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Jeff85

If you want to see 3 Condor Voodoo's at various stages of construction, check out: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394769]Building The Condor to go Vertical to 1,000'[/link]

Old 11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
dawie22

scratching the whole outrigin engine idea at the moment, hehe did a little research and seen that this plane (asw 17 robbe) can be HI-Started, hehe have seen a few that take my fancy....

main little problem at the moment is that im looking for an english manual, lol the 1 i have is in german [:@] , any one help, lookin for a pdf vertion or other doc format if pos

thank you darv
Old 02-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Hans Dahl Christensen

Hi - Hi .

Have you ever thought that an aerotowing - situation could be wanted ??

But of course - that would require a fellowmodeller with a towing plane with , say , a 2 cubicinch motor up front .

But that should really please you.

Look into : www.iggnorge.com
www.igg-sverige.se

Have fun,

hld - OY-9901