Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Why the folding prop does not?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Why the folding prop does not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 01:41 AM
Capt. Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the folding prop does not?

I have tried it all, to get my folding props to fold back when the elec. engine is shut down. I have a RTF Aspire. I have filed the plastic spiner so when I hold the nose up, the props fold. I have lubed with light wht silicone. The props are as free as a feather to fold back. BUT when it is airborn..they windmill even with a pitch up to stall or dive.
Some chap said something about dental rubber bands. If so where and how do I put them in?
Thanks from a windmilling glider pilot!
Old 11-06-2002, 02:54 AM
Ollie

You need a speed controller with a brake that will stop the prop from spinning. If the stopped prop won't fold then the tiny rubberbands will do the job if you can position them properly. You have to install two hooks for each blade. The hooks are to be located near the hinge on the back of the folding blade and on the back of the prop hub. The hooks must be spaced to give the proper tension with the size rubberbands you choose. If the spacing is too great the tension will be too high and the prop won't unfold when you advance the throttle. If the spacing is too close there won't be enough tension to fold the prop.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:24 AM
talybont

Hi Capt. Steve,

what do you use as motor? A 380/400 size? They have a magnetic field which is often not strong enough to brake the prop although the controller wants to.
If the prop blades can be moved easily and the controller has got a EMK-brake the blades should fold.

MfG,
Armin
Old 11-22-2002, 09:27 PM
AJCK
My Feedback: (1)

Default Easy solution

see message below
Old 11-22-2002, 09:46 PM
AJCK
My Feedback: (1)

Default Easy solution

Nah, there is an easy and cheap solution to this one (if you bought the version without radio, the ARF has an ESC as Scott told me).

Solder a wire on the not used contact/pole of the microswitch (inside the fuselage, the one that gets actuated by your servo).

Attach it to the black wire of the motor (I attached it to the yellow 20-amp fuse).

When the motor is turned off, the switch will short the poles of the motor, and it will stop. And voila, your prop will fold, and your flight time increase to 15 minutes or better

E-mail if you need pix or help.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:57 PM
rorywquin

Closing the throttle slowly helps as well. Slow the prop down before you close the throttle to the brake position and it will fold.