Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Jasco Thermic 72 Smoked to Order

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Jasco Thermic 72 Smoked to Order

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
mmartin55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jasco Thermic 72 Smoked to Order

Cooking up a Jasco Thermic 72

Well I'm hooked. Between studying the plans for the T50X and cutting out the hardwood booms for the kits today on the tablesaw, I got to looking at the beautiful pristine copy of the plans Greg L. sent me for the 72 pod and boom and I have to say its the one.

At that span and planform, its no wonder Dave Thornburg got the bug to update it back in the day and that Ray still kits and sells so many versions. Here's my thought and plan though...

I want to produce a complete set of laser cut parts just like I have done on the Thermic 50X.... accurate fit, good finish, all the parts, even the spars pre-cut...

Then a twist in the strategy. Provide an alternate set of ribs for wing and tail based upon Mark Drela's foils but using the same rib spacing, stronger beefed up spar cap and web with carbon reinforcement and D-section sheeted wings, a fiberglass pod from my friend Keith Smith at Pacific Sailplanes, but the same exact planform and profiles of the original Zaic design.

What do you think?

Tom
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
GloFuelAV8
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Jasco Thermic 72 Smoked to Order

Tom,
"What do I think?" When can I purchase one from you?
"Geppetto"
Old 12-02-2006, 02:05 PM
mmartin55

Default RE: Jasco Thermic 72 Smoked to Order

Well the Thermic 50-X and Thermic 72s have become a big hit. Reviews by Don Bailey and Quiet Flyer and his friend Fred who did a build log at RC Groups and article for the magazine gave them excellent review for fit, finish, and flying!

To top that, I've now added the original Jasco Thermic 50 with cabin fuselage to the lineup and am shipping all three now PLUS the Super Sinbad from early Berkeley days designed by Henry Struck. all of these are laser cut with udpated plans as needed or can be built EXACTLY as originally designed over Frank Zaic's vintage plans.

To make long story short, parts are cut to match original design profiles and planform but we cut notches in the trailing edge and shaped them with the laser. this means you can punch out the parts and start pinning them to to the board and have a vintage glider completely framed up in one day. Everything jigs together with notched upper surface forward spar and lower surface rear spar so you can assemble the entire wing on the board with no cement. The hard balsa spars are cut to length, tapered and beveled to the correct dihedral angles by the laser as well. When its all framed up, just hit all the joints with a drop of CA, then block up the wing tips and hit the spar joints at the tip joints and you're done. Now join the main two panels, insert the ply doublers, cement and you're ready for sanding and covering!!!!! We even provide the hardwood booms already preshaped as well as the 1/32" ply doublers for the wing joint.

The wonderful thing about notched trailing edges if you haven't thought about it is that this increases the contact and glue area by 300% making for a mutch stronger structure and provides the benefit of perfect rib spacing and squarness to the entire structure! Same thing on the horizontal stab. We also added notched formers for the T72 to allow a fully hollowed and robust pod for modern RC installation.

We now offer the Super Sinbad too and I'm working on the Jasco Sailwing 50, and the original Trooper and Thermic C to get them ready for you guys too. All of this, just in time for CHRISTMAS! and I've updated the web site at http://www.tmrcsailplanes.com/SAM-vi...lane-kits.html - Check it out.

Thanks

tm