Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Sneak Peek! RC HANGLIDERS (TRIKEs)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sneak Peek! RC HANGLIDERS (TRIKEs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:05 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sneak Peek! RC HANGLIDERS (TRIKEs)

This is one of the very first prototypes of hangliders I built in the late 80's. It is a rather large model and have not had the time to work on it since I got more involved with smaller indoor models. It's been gathering dust so I've decided to let it go. Perhaps it might interest someone that likes large models and has some knowledge of hangliders or ultralights aka Trikes. If it interest anyone, let me know. It has an Astro 15 cobalt motor with a prop installed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74793.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	369872  
Old 12-14-2005, 08:57 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: RC HANGLIDERS (TRIKEs)

I fly hang gliders and would be interested in the model.

Does the control come from wieght shift?

has it ever flown?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Actually thats pretty cool. How did you make the wing and battens?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

The model started with a good notion of how real hangliders work, by using weight shift, yes, and I flew the model several times times but originally it had a tendency of looping right after take off, I couln't get it to fly straight until I tweaked the CG, and wing incidence angle, by trial and error at the flying field. The original battons are made of wood strips which I formed using hot steam and reinforced with CA/Epoxy but can be replaced with aluminum ones or even composite ones for manual or auto adjustment of wing camber. I din't have any special tools when I made this model, so what you see is a bit of a brew of creativity with some basic tools and materials. The frame was painstakingly lightened by cutting rectangular holes with a Dremel tool jig.

Because I wanted as much realism from this model, and wanted the control to come from a scale lifelike pilot, and couldn't find one that would suit this purpose, I had to carve my own pilot so it would hold two servos on the torso so they could activate the control handle via the articulated arms to hand grips and thus efffect weigh shift. This worked! but the servos I originally used on the pilot could have been a lot more stronger to counter the forces of weight shifting the trike.

Once in the air it was not difficult to control it by weight shift using a 3 channel transmitter with elevon mixing. In the 80's there were no 3 channel transmitters like the Hitec Focus 3, with elevon mixing built in, so I used a regular 4 chanell helicopter tranmitter, Conquest 6, I think, and turn the transmitter at 45 degrees so I could manipulate the aileron/elevator with some sort of manual mixing coordination.

Here are some pictures of the Pilot that I carved with much effort from hardwood, and which was used to control the ultralight trike. The pilot has gone through a lot of trauma, since it was pulled of from the trike, my son took some interest in this pilot as a regular toy and he would make him do push ups chin ups and some other funny exercises via Radio control. The receiver and battery was neatly packed behind the seat when it was installed in the model.

Name:	Zw69761.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	370146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30926.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	370147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29434.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	370148  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:14 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

I put this model on Ebay with a 3-day listing and no reserve, here are some additional photos just in case.

Name:	Wu60072.jpg
Views:	2263
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	370149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54939.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	370150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84161.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	370151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43920.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	370152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29124.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	370153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qg63658.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	370154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85828.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	370155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw78829.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	370156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx42224.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	370157  
Old 12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
CHassan

Can you send me a link to the auction please.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
CHassan

ORIGINAL: PalmSizeHeliMan

The model started with a good notion of how real hangliders work, by using weight shift, yes, and I flew the model several times times but originally it had a tendency of looping right after take off, I couln't get it to fly straight until I tweaked the CG, and wing incidence angle, by trial and error at the flying field. The original battons are made of wood strips which I formed using hot steam and reinforced with CA/Epoxy but can be replaced with aluminum ones or even composite ones for manual or auto adjustment of wing camber. I din't have any special tools when I made this model, so what you see is a bit of a brew of creativity with some basic tools and materials. The frame was painstakingly lightened by cutting rectangular holes with a Dremel tool jig.

Because I wanted as much realism from this model, and wanted the control to come from a scale lifelike pilot, and couldn't find one that would suit this purpose, I had to carve my own pilot so it would hold two servos on the torso so they could activate the control handle via the articulated arms to hand grips and thus efffect weigh shift. This worked! but the servos I originally used on the pilot could have been a lot more stronger to counter the forces of weight shifting the trike.

Once in the air it was not difficult to control it by weight shift using a 3 channel transmitter with elevon mixing. In the 80's there were no 3 channel transmitters like the Hitec Focus 3, with elevon mixing built in, so I used a regular 4 chanell helicopter tranmitter, Conquest 6, I think, and turn the transmitter at 45 degrees so I could manipulate the aileron/elevator with some sort of manual mixing coordination.

Here are some pictures of the Pilot that I carved with much effort from hardwood, and which was used to control the ultralight trike. The pilot has gone through a lot of trauma, since it was pulled of from the trike, my son took some interest in this pilot as a regular toy and he would make him do push ups chin ups and some other funny exercises via Radio control. The receiver and battery was neatly packed behind the seat when it was installed in the model.
First thing, I don't see any allowance for sideways movement of the weight for turning.
Second thing is hang gliders have anhedral not dihedral.
For stability you should also have some upwards bend at the back of the battens. And Luft lines to help hold the back of the sail up in case of a major pitch down.

The looping might have been due to thrust or CG or AoA. (probably a combination)
At least from the pics other than that it look flyable.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

The aution link.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Chassan,

Yes the battons could have been a lot better than the prototype simple woodies, this is why I said earlier that they could be made better with aluminum or composite ones, with the tail of them bent upwards, as you mention, for stability. The model does have anheadral and this was adjusted by the guy wires. In the picture, the wing spreader bars do make the wing look like it has diheadral instead.

I discovered while attempting to make another one, as light as possible, while using the considerably heavier Nicads, back before Lipols became available, that you don't even need battons in an RC model hanglider or trike. I have since designed very simple RC trikes without the complexities of the real ones.

This video of my 2002 Trike which I also featured in other forum threads around the same time and also on my web site, demonstrates my latest achievements in designing RC model Trikes. The MIA Condor is my latest RC Electric powered Trike Kit and it will be for sale in 2006. Work with my Palm Size helicopters and Production of the Bumble Bee Sub-Micro helicopter has kept me from bringing out my RC Trike product earlier.

[link=http://www.micro-flight.com/videos/MIACONDOR.wmv]

Click Here for the Video of the MIA CONDOR RC TRIKE/ULTRALIGHT[/link]

Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-4iDpas13U[/youtube]

Originally Published on 2011 by MarioIArguello

http://www.micro-flight.com MIA Radio Control Micro Trike. World's first miniature true Topless RC Ultralight weight Microlight Trike. Similar to ultraleves, deltaplanos, powered hang gliders.

Back in the 80's 90's I had started with a similar design, an 8ft wing trike made from fiberglass tubing, aluminum, wooden shaped battens, and rip-stop nylon wing. It had all the complex cable rigging and even a working control bar linked to an original kung-fu grip GI-Joe pilot. It was powered by an USA made Astro-Flight motor with an, also USA made, Joe Utasi ESC, Futaba servos and receiver and a monster of a Ni-CAD! battery pack. WOW we are so spoiled with today's battery technology! and many people really don't appreciate this.

After moving from Chicago to Arizona, I sold the wing back around 2005, to make room for other designs, which made used of various ways of control, as seen on various of my RC Trike videos. Photos are also on my sites.

I feel sorry now, that I sold that trike. It would have been great to have retrofit it with a modern day BL motor and Li-Pol battery setup.

This MIA Micro RC Trike is nothing new, but a memory that was waiting to be made real again, in smaller scale. If you have been watching my other videos and very early posts in various RC forum threads, you can see my other wings have been simpler, and I am for this approach simply because I don't like to put too much time into a model that really doesn't need to be complex. But simplicity also means a lot of brain cells that have to be burned in the process of achieving success.

Also, by no means the model trike needs to be heavy, or have complex cable rigging like luff, flying and landing lines, a misconception by some inexperienced RC modelers, to fully effect weight shift control, proof in this topless model. It is more a matter of careful geometry, aerodynamic design, precise mechanics and control setup.

Most but not all the models I design are relative to the space surrounding me, I don't have a lot of time to spend a whole day at a flying club or field so I design and build them smaller than the average trainer size 40, 60 airplane so that I can SAFELY, and EASILY fly them around the backyard cul-de-sac, schoolyard, small park, anytime, and or travel with the model easier.

Making the model extremely crash-proof, is an art in itself, and it is not necessarily making parts in metal. I eat, breath and sleep with this day in and day out, since I design original kits and countless successful RC Model aftermarket parts for a living, but most of all, because I am myself, the customer looking for Performance, Durability and Realistic Appearance, trademark characteristics of MIA Micro-FLIGHT.

The topless RC microlight is a huge achievement in RC Models and no one to this day internet searches included, has yield a similar Topeless true RC Micro trike or ultralight with exceptional flying characteristics, as seen in this video. Yes, there is another person who was following my early RC trike threads and who has come to up to speed in the last year with an 5 ft RC Microlight also, but he makes use of cable rigging flying, landing and luff cables or lines, which is the older style of doing a traditional Hang Glider and Power Hanglider (Trike-Microlight). Not to obsolete traditional designs, but most modern day Trikes have becomed topless, and some use rigid wings, but a topless, sail type (not rigid) and in particular micro rc wing requires a little more thought, experimentation, careful design, geometry and setup, otherwise it can be a frustrating experience. Understanding the real aircraft is a must!. Persistence can be rewarding!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Topless micro MIA RC Trike with Robotic Pilot Control. A USA MIA Invention perfected.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st9f1Ioh4g4[/youtube]

There are a number of innovations that have been implemented on this particular MIA micro scale model of a real Trike - Microlight also known as ultraleves, ultralivianos, nanolights and powered hang gliders.

For those that have been following MIA's history on the development of the RC Trike, it will not be anything new, many of these MIA innovations. Some RC trike enthusiast who have been following my creations, are those that are also coming up to speed with their own RC trikes in recent years .

MIA Innovations:
Battenless and Topless Performance Mini Wings.
Robust Lightweight and Crashproof A frames
Mos noticeable, Perfected True Pilot control via a Robot pilot via the control bar.

Back in the 80s when I started designing RC trikes, there were no similar RC models, there were however a few attempts by a couple companies to produce ultralight looking toys but none of them had realized a realistic RC Trike model with a robotic pilot as in the MIA Models such as the MIA Condor, I designed back them and many I have shown, on up to date.

The MIA robotic pilot is nothing new, I had this particular setup in the very first RC trike I designed back then, See my other MIA RC Trike videos, but the control was not fine tuned. If you have ever experimented with servos as a form of direct weight shift control you will know that there are limitation based on servo type as well as geometrical setup. Finding the geometrical sweet spot to control an RC trike just like a real pilot would via the control bar took a bit of thought and specific layout. I have been particularly targeting not just a flying flying but a model with total and more importantly precise control.

I am sure many people looking at my videos with this setup will be eager to try because if you get it right and I think my videos already provide a good deal of information, you too can get an RC trike controlled via the pilot.

I have searched high and low in recent times to see if anyone else had anything similar and I did not find anyhting similar and it is no suroprise to me because doing the control as I am doing it requries a bit more thinking. Also, No1, RC trikes are rather rare, but attempts at making models of such have surfaced on you tube in recent years. No2, Most people do the weight shift control via the typical 2 servos at the back of the trike on up via two control rods to a short secondary control bar across the keel because this setyup is easier. This is the most widely used form of control for many rogallo and kite style RC models as well as some trike RC trike wannabes.

I never liked the two servos at the back of the trike weight shift control , because it is a bit distracting from a scale stand point and in reality the control is done via the control bar by the pilots arm muscles. And so over time and working on and off on the MIA RC trike I perfected the setup to where the model not only handles like the real thing on ground but also on air. As my videos show.

Name:	Rp43087.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	1777382  
Old 07-01-2012, 01:22 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

MIA Historical Journey. The RC Trike-Microlight Part 1, with various forms of control, explained.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUT9_JsC0bI[/youtube]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

MIA Historical Journey. The RC Trike-Microlight Part 2, with Real Control Bar Function Explained. Worlds's First and one of Kind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZMBhkHV3Kc[/youtube]
Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

***Judgement Day - Terminator-like Robo Pilot flies 1:6 Scale MIA RC Trike***

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHudlkRvgI[/youtube]

Name:	Fd90825.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1778105  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpOFq3n-m78[/youtube]
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXjBeV3bm8E[/youtube]
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

MIA RC Microlight Trike Ultralight Parts. A sample of several options. Some other parts not shown are more in scale and some are
more freestyle and have own MIA Look.
The Wing Frame Assembly Leading Edge, Cross Bar and Keel Parts are based on the real thing and not a model of, for realism.
The front suspension pneumatic spring shocks are based on the real thing also but customized with MIA own approach for RC model application. THe MIA Batten Clips are also MIA own design but the application is same as the real ones except the MIA ones are less complex and more for RC applications. The pilot as in all its related videos is entirely a MIA innovation with only the servos being bought items

Name:	Db84818.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	1780063   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43624.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	1780064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35732.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1780065  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

latest video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4GGUWNZNhs[/youtube]
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Photos of the larger MIA RC Microlight Trike Ultralight with the unique MIA Robo Pilot and MIA Topless Wing, recent flying event in a field with many obstacles which made flights challenging.
Video to follow.

Name:	Rp42604.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1789945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78755.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1789946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92734.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1789947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75189.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1789948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67448.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1789949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58993.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1789950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43730.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1789951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36829.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1789952  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63493.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1789953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42187.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1789954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa32273.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1789955  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd1VSY_-Guw[/youtube]
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 AM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Sneak Peek! RC HANGLIDERS (TRIKEs)

i go to your web site but cant find the prices for the trikes.....where are they?...................
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

I have not posted links for kit purchase yet. Trying to decide on particualr model. I have several done but have to lock on one to start off.

Name:	Yw68456.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	1791865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35657.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	1791866  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmn45OHjrg[/youtube]
Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

MIA Robo-TRIKE II (TM) Dual Seater RC Microlight (trike )direct off the build right after the drawing board. Short preview.

* Carbon Frame similar to MIA RC Ultralights
* Topless Performance Wing
* MA Robot Pilot (Real Steering) No servos at the back typical control
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSuT4aTIaE[/youtube]

Name:	Vs55944.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	1792436  
Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

MIA RC Microlight Trike Ultralight . Dual Seater.

Name:	Cz80030.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	1792606  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.