Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Flap setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 08:06 AM
mr_dickles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flap setup?

Hi! I just built a plane with ailerons/rudder/flap setup (my first of this kind).

I am wondering how far the flaps need to go down when in full ON position? Do they go down as far as they do when in normal 'aileron' operation? or less?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ken
Old 11-18-2002, 10:32 AM
CactusJackSlade

Default Flaps

Hello,

I am in the same boat as you... trying to figure out flap set-up. I know what I want, but programming all the possible variables is difficult for me on my JR 8103...

Anyway, my understanding is you want 90 degrees of flap! Yes, 90 degrees. I guess the reason being that you use your thottle stick to go from a moderate lifting angle (30 degrees?) to an "air brake" angle (90 degrees) fro stopping power just before touchdown... at least that is the way I understand it.

Apparently you can couple them with ailerons for added roll rate as well.

THEN you can dial in some camber for a slower air foil during flight (thermalling)

THEN you can use crow mixing during landing (flaps down, ailerons up)

So ther can be quite a lot done if you want... I am still trying to get it all figured out!

Good luck!

CJS
Old 11-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Ollie

Default Flap setup?

See:
http://www.nesail.com/progjr347.html
and
http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/tips.html
http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/Flaps.htm
Old 11-18-2002, 05:05 PM
mr_dickles

Default Flap setup?

I just bought an 8103 as welll! Still waiting for it to ship though. I forgot to mention something important in my first post (Im a newbie!) that Im using the flaps in a 'flaperon' style where I am using my ailerons as my flaps, so I cant actually control both at a time (like crab with ailerons up and flaps down).

Thanks so much for your replies guys, Outbound, hope you like your 8103!

Ken
Old 11-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Jack Rowland

Default Flap setup?

Many posts on rc groups (use search on spoilerons) recommend using spoilerons (ailerons up) as opposed to flaperons, to maintain roll control and avoid tip stall possibilities. At the least, I would try small amounts of flap at a safe altitude to judge results.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flap setup?

I assume you are talking about a sailplane. What plane? Does it have both flaps and ailerons?
Old 11-23-2002, 10:22 PM
mr_dickles

Default Yes, a sailplane...

yes, this is a sailplane. An EPP slope plane. It has just ailerons, and a vtail. So I am mixing ailerons with flaps (or spoilers if I can figure it out).

Here's a link to the plane:
http://www.bowmanshobbies.com/javelin.html

thanks,
Ken