Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

glider piggy-back system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 PM
yak_54
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glider piggy-back system?

hangar 9 used to offer one for .40 to .60 sized trainers, but I cant seem to find it at horizon. Does anyone know if they still make one, or any other company that offers one? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:15 PM
brownknows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glider piggy-back system?

Haven't seen a commercial one available for a long time. However, I never pass up a chance to plug my own design which is easy to build and pretty effective. Click on the link below:

[link=http://www.poboys.org/framepage.asp?frame=/tips/glider0.htm]www.poboys.org glider platform[/link]

This is a 1st generation design. I have since revised it a little, but the concept is still pretty much the same.

Dave
Old 12-31-2005, 09:08 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glider piggy-back system?

brownknows,
Indian Trail.... hmmm I used to live east of Hood's Crossroads just north of you. Small world.

You know, most gliders have a towhook for bungee/winch launching. Put a "loop" where your eyelet is, only lower where it'd capture the glider towhook. The loop could be done a number of ways. It wouldn't even have to be a loop. But if you then put a servo up in the saddle to control the loop, you could run a servo extension into the airplane and connect it to any free channel. And almost every glider ever made for highstart launching could be towed with no modification, and they'd all fit the saddle with little fitting since the towhooks are almost all exactly alike and all are on the absolute bottom of the gliders.

Say, have a small slot the towhooks would fit into. That give the lateral positioning. The "loop" or capture wire or capture cable or whatever would give the fore-aft positioning.

You know, that deal you got has real potential to be self contained and universal for all the existing gliders out there and they wouldn't have to have a thing done to them.