Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Hobie Hawk, Superhawk limited run of planes and parts coming in Spring 2006

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hobie Hawk, Superhawk limited run of planes and parts coming in Spring 2006

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 PM
pepperkay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobie Hawk, Superhawk limited run of planes and parts coming in Spring 2006

ORIGINAL: Shuttle RG

The micro balloons just goes on like a paste or spackling. .
I've never used micro balloons before, so what do I mix them with to change them from their dusty, powder form to something 'like a paste or spackling' ?? ...

Thanks,

Pepper
AMA # 3937
LSF # 3335 - IV
Old 04-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Shuttle RG

Default RE: Hobie Hawk, Superhawk limited run of planes and parts coming in Spring 2006

The micro balloons I get from the LHS come in a plastic jar and are kind of a thick paste already. However, you just thin it with water. Very little water actually, goes a long way. Then using your fingers, just spread it on the wood. Remember, too much water will "open" the grain of the balsa even more so you really want it close to the consistency of toothpaste. Try not to use too much as you will have to sand it off later. Just enough to fill the voids, you can even use a credit card etc. to smooth it over the wood. Let it thoroughly dry before sanding it. It is very dusty and will make a mess so you may want to sand it outside. Experiment with a scrap piece first to get the hang of it.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Toomanyplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys. Just to confirn, yes, all the Superhawks are SOLD OUT. I will not be making anymore this year. My time is extremely limited because of WORK (yes, I do have a REAL JOB!). I know the planes are expensive but believe me when I say for those of you that were fortunate enough to obtain one, you really did get your money's worth.

I just want to take a moment to thank Brian Joder from HobieHawk.com for being the motivational force behind the development of the Superhawk and for being so devoted to his website that he has spent GOBS of time developing and makes absolutely no money for keeping it up and running. Without his help I doubt if any planes would have been made and I never would have had the fortunate experience of meeting Dennis Ross and getting him on board with this project. Dennis provided all the injection molded parts for the Superhawk but he simply does not have the time to devote to setting up the molds for another run of any parts right now. This was a major factor in shutting down the limited run of the Superhawk. Brian also was responsible for getting me in touch with Hobie Alter who (as luck would have it) resides very close to me in the Summer months. Hobie an I have thrown around a couple of ideas for a new plane and I am currently working on the prototype but I do not know if/when any will be available. It all depends on my time and work/family schedule.

Well, I think I'll spend some time flyin' this Summer instead of building.

Enjoy your new projects and post pictures as soon as you get them done (don't be shy!)

Thermals,

Tony Johnson
Synergy Composites
The following users liked this post:
CactusJackSlade (11-02-2020)
Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
schai

hey folks,
any flight reports out there? i am hankering to build and fly and want a sense of how well behaved this hawk is.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
rluft

No flight report yet, but the box stands real nice in the corner of my office . . . . . . . . If I only did not have to work for a living things would be much easier . . . . . . Randy . . . . .
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Shuttle RG

Finally found some time to work on mine. Got the paint sprayed and a couple of clear coats on. Need finishing touches on the fuse. Will post some pics soon.

Clark
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
rluft

Anybody got their SuperHawk in the air yet?

Thanks, Randy . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Shuttle RG

Not yet.

I was going along pretty good and got the fuse finished. All I have left are the wings. Got hung up on the spoilers though. The curve of the wing was a problem for long spoilers. Anyway, I am still working on them and hope to have the wings ready to cover soon.

Clark