Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

GP Siren... time for the motor

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

GP Siren... time for the motor

Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Siren... time for the motor

One of the club members let me fly his Siren yesterday.. Kontronix 480, 12.5x10 prop, 8 nicads.
What a NICE airplane!
I flew it just a bit faster than he would, power off, and the thing wouldn't come down! It would go up at the slightest hint of lift.
Other than being too small for my ancient eyes, it's a super airplane!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
curious george

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes thanks guys for the input. I have to agree, Its better to be safe then sorry. So that brings me to my next question, I have two other radios for when I was into gas planes , These Futaba FG series AM radios were new back then and they are still like new. I fly on property where there are no other radios for at least ten miles. I am using them for my girlfriends Easystar plane for training her to fly( she loves it ) . What do you think about using one of them for the Siren ?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a couple of FG transmitters, one AM and one FM, which I had upgraded to gold-sticker status... threw away the receivers, and gota more modern R114H for the AM.. which operate happily with the transmitter.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:36 PM
lee101

here is a list on what works

motor: axi 2826/10
prop: 14x9.5 cam folder
esc: CC45
battery: 10 cell stick pack GP2200
radio i recommend pcm receiver : currently using pcm jr770

cheers

Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 AM
8_Ball
My Feedback: (2)

Lee...I have an AXI that I was thinking I might put in the Siren...Do you have a pic of your installation?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:24 AM
soholingo

If you guys go to the "other site" you will find out all you want to know about the siren, most of it written by me. Couple of things...

This plane is sold as a hotliner, and while its a lot of people's first entry into fast sailplanes its not a hotlinet. As a matter of fact the plane is a really nice sailplane. It will float, it will thermal well and it will slope well. I think one of the better setups for the Siren is this...

Axi 2826/8
14x8 aeronaut prop
cc60 controller
3s2p lipos or 10xgp2000 or 10x gp2200

This set up is affordable if you use the 10 gp2000 cells. I prefer the lipos as I can leave the plane in my car until I am ready to fly. As mentioned earlier if you shrinkwrap the leads and then goop the wires to the inside of the fuse, the wires won't rub with the outrunner, and the screw holes are already drilled for the AXI.

I have also tried moding this plane. I have kept the wings as 3 piece and I have cut flaps into the center section. The flaps are great mod and GP should consider dropping the carbon fuse, and adding flaps and keeping the price the same or lower. With regards to the 3 piece wing, the wing joiners would need to be modified. I lost my siren when the spar broke at the stress riser, unbeknonst to me, and I launched and the wing tip fell off.... That said if you build the plane to spec the wing is reasonably strong, if cumbersome.

Some additional thoughts:

Carbon fiber fuse is pure marketing and a waste of carbon. Carbon in the fuse is stiff and leads to a lot fuse cracking that is difficult to repair.

The wing has hard wood spars with carbon tow caps. I like this. What I didn't like was that the wing uses shear webs instead of a solid balsa spar. It would improve the strength of the wing.

The motor mount is relatively weak, especially if you use a hard brake on your esc. Douse the motor mount with thin CA to harden the wood.

That said, I really enjoy flying this plane. It's relaxing and inexpensive (its probably relaxing BECAUSE its inexpensive). Its a really good introduction to fast sailplanes.

J
Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Nick1150

Nice thread

I have the same question.... time for the motor

I already have this motor http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...roducts_id=964 and this ESC http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=1144 . Are those good options for the Siren ? If yes what prop and rest equipment will I need ?

Thanks [8D]
Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Nick1150

ORIGINAL: Nick1150

Nice thread

I have the same question.... time for the motor

I already have this motor http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...roducts_id=964 and this ESC http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=1144 . Are those good options for the Siren ? If yes what prop and rest equipment will I need ?

Thanks [8D]
Anyone ? []
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
monty.sharp

hi nick, ive just checked out your motor and i would definately reccomend a higher power system, it would fly the siren but it would be a struggle to get the performance out of it, i flew mine on around 400 watts to start with and felt perfect, there are plenty of cheap options avalable for this plane when using 3s lipo batterys, mail me if you'd like more help

yamas!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Nick1150

Thanks monty.sharp for the info,

Yamas
Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
fcom

Please, have anyone photos about the installation of outrunner motors?

What motor will be more fast?

Tks

Flavio Martins
Sao Paulo -SP
Brazil
Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
SoarLA45

My brother still flies his Orbit 4 channel one stick radio, so I guess an FG-Series Futaba may be safe.
Edit: BTW my brothers not that old hes 22 but the radio was my uncles before him.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM
fcom

What is the best motor performance and batteries ? The quick one to vertical speeds and speed speed speed, something like a pylon??
Old 10-08-2008, 05:31 PM
johnpcunningham

For the best performance, go down on kv and up on prop and pitch. A Turnighy 35x42 with a 4x10 or 14x12 prop will make it scream. Use two 11.1v 2100 MHa batteries in paralell. Running 14.4v may be too much for the system (80 amp ESC) and you would need to use a smaller prop.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Dehar

I'm using AXI 2820/10 motor, with 13x8 carbon prop and 3s1p3200 Lipo (20C cells from Hyperion, assebmled in one pack by russian vendor). With all of it, weigth about 1300-1320 gramms (about 100 gramms more, than recomended). CG is 60 mm from behind (recomended 55, but 60 is more suitable for me).

So, how it fly... 4-5 verticals climbs for 1200-1400 ft and acrobatics, when going down. About 10 minutes +-30 sec fly time.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:35 PM
monty.sharp

if anyones interested i have a brand new graupner speed hotliner all setup ready to go, its got a feigao b50 11s geared setup with hacker xpro 70 esc and all new hitec metal geared servo's with a new evo 25 3s 3700, 16.5x15 prop 800 watts and ready for 4s which gives it 1000watts, very fast and great f5b practice model
open to offers
NOW SOLD
Old 11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
monty.sharp

Hey dudes, heres a vid of my siren(ish)

Enjoy!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uuv0FGrZJk
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
monty.sharp

speed now sold, thanks for the interest though
Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Nick1150

ORIGINAL: monty.sharp

Hey dudes, heres a vid of my siren(ish)

Enjoy!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uuv0FGrZJk
great video, nice flying
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
pxr5

ORIGINAL: curious george

I am almost done with me Siren,I have been working on a few projects ,,Park flyers,,and am wondering if I should use my DX6 radio gear on the siren. Hav'nt had eny problem with it, do'nt plan on going eny farther then maybe 2 football fields, eny coments?
I flew the omei2000 glider for 6 months on a DX6i with no problems. to say i did a range check is a funny understatement, i had it dangerously out of sight many times both horizontal and vertical distances. never had a problem. i was flying over a motorway, near a power station and next to an industrial estate so if i was on a normal radio i wouldnt have lasted a day.

i read a long time ago that the range on both the DX6 and DX7 is just over half a mile which is out of sight, you would need FPV to go that far.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To close the book on the Siren.........

It's gone now. Wasn't the greatest glider I ever had, so no tears at all.

The Multiplex 480/6G wasn't very exciting as well.

The Siren got caught in a dust devil at low altitude. Matter of fact, it was no more than 40-50' over my head, which is why I know there was a little twister around. There really wasn't any dust. But after the Siren wound up upside down right over me, it produced some carbon dust very shortly thereafter.

Now I got an expensive gearbox that makes a very loud noise when running. Anybody know how to get the gearbox off those Multiplex inliners? It's too good and too expensive to trash.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I looked for a Multiplex USA address and discovered a couple of things.

The gearbox screws on (reverse threads) and is held with powerful threadlocker. Also, there is an email address for service & support for Multiplex USA.

Hope they are still reading their emails, and will do something to keep this thing servicable. It was way too expensive to trash.