Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Interested in getting into slope soaring. I need some advice.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Interested in getting into slope soaring. I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
hanknmorgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in getting into slope soaring. I need some advice.

Hello. As the title says I am interested in getting into slope soaring. I live in San Francisco and this past weekend my wife and I happened upon people slope soaring 2 times and I'm hooked. We saw two nice planes on a hill in the Muir woods (north bay) area on Saturday and a few people playing around in Pacifica on Sunday. So it appears that we are in a good area for slope soaring. There's always wind. Anyway, I have zero rc plane experience, but have alot of experience with nitro and electric land vehicles, so I know the basics of RC functionality and repair. I would like to get a setup that is durable as I am new and wont have much money to spend on alot of repairs. (Design college isn't cheap) From what I have read, the EPP foamies seem to be a good idea. Relatively cheap, very strong, and beginner friendly (depending on model). I am leaning toward the D.A.W TG-3. Is this a recommended plane for beginner soaring? I am totally open to suggestions. I read that it can be built with a polyhedral wing or a flat wing. I would definately go polyhedral for learning. I would like to build aelorons into the plane for later use if possible. I am not sure how that works.

I have read that a 4 channel radio is the way to go vs. a 2 channel in case I want to add aelerons (sp?) later. But what about a 3 channel? They are considerable cheaper than a 4 channel but offers an upgrade over a 2 channel. I found a hitec 3 channel FM for like $70 online with 2 servos. Would something like that be a good choice? I havent seen anyone mention using a 3 channel in a sailplane.

I would like to keep cost minimal, but still be able to have fun and grow a little as I learn. Lastly, we saw someone with a combatwing type plane last night that flew at sunset that had lights all inside of it. It was pretty impressive and I think I would like to be able to fly at dusk after work or class sometimes. Can something like this be built into an EPP foam plane. The "wing" we saw has transparent film on the bottom and the lights were inside the plane, so I assume it was wood construction since you could see the bracing inside the wings. The whole thing glowed and made it very easy to see as it got darker. He was using a motor on his though, but I assume it could done with a sailplane as well. The only thing I found that looks similar is the RAM 06 sky light kit, but I couldnt find much info on it. This plane had all white lights inside and single red and green at the wingtips for orientation. Thanks for any input. I am eager to keep learning, start building, and get out there to have some fun. Take care.

-Hank
Old 01-09-2006, 04:16 PM
glover1482

Default RE: Interested in getting into slope soaring. I need some advice.

Hank:

IMO the best toys for beginners at slopes are hand launched gliders. www.mountainmodels.com and www.laserarts.com both have toys with tough foam wings which are great for beginners. These models do use smaller servos which will cost about $20 each. A two or three channel TX is needed. These models work well in the lighter lift that a beginner will be most comfortable flying in. Also they can be flown at any school yard as hand launch gliders... a great training arena, as landing at the bottom of a slope is most often followed by a strenuous "walk of shame" down and up a steep slope.

Foam delta and plank wing models (like the combatwing ones you mentioned) are very widely used as beginner slope toys also. The main issues with these is that establishing the balance point can be difficult (but doable). And these toys also have low initial costs. My favorite of these is the MOG from http://www.harborside.com/~birdworks/bwhome.htm. The MOG is the least expensive, and allows use of the cheaper "standard" servos ($10 each) that are simply stuck into pre-cut openings without any "digging" into foam to bury equipment. A TX with elevon mixing is necessary to fly delta and plank wing models. And since delta and plank wing models are very pitch sensitive, a TX with adjustable throws on the elevator function is just about mandatory.

If you have a restricted budget, you certainly can get away with using one of the less expensive radio systems... just make sure that it supports elevons (elevators and ailerons combined on the same control surfaces). Lights are a gimick that can be added to any toy including your cars, but remember that they will come with extra weight and complexity which might not be a bonus on a beginner slope toy.

Lots of lift, Glover
Old 01-09-2006, 09:56 PM
hanknmorgan

The lights arent really a big deal and most likely wouldnt be added until later, if at all. I like the look of a traditional plane better than wing style ones I think. I would like to be able to hand launch as well if possible, but my main interest would be slope soaring once I learn what I am doing. Do most people that do slope soaring use a 2 channel or 3 channel plane? I know 2 is recommended for beginners, but I wondering if the third is really important enough to plan on adding later. Any other thougts or advice out there.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 PM
glover1482

Hank, I suggest that you get the best TX that you can afford!!!! So far for me in this hobby (three years), the best investment that I have made was in my TX. I have a Futaba 9CAP with an add-on module that allows storage of up to thirty models, and I use it for simple two function models and in models with up to eight functions. It is best to purchase the TX seperately from the on-board radio gear as the on-board gear will vary greatly with the model. I currently have fourteen models (plus one for the ReflexTR simulator) set up in my TX.

Like you described in your first post, I got into this hobby when I saw toys being slope soared at Sunset Beach State Park just west of Watsonville, CA. Most of my models are slope toys, but I also fly electric powered toys.

After you get the nack of flying slower slope toys, then you might look at some of the EPP slope toys that are scale representations of warbirds as they are much faster but still durable. My preference for slope flying is composite built toys (fiberglass, carbon, kevlar and epoxy) in the six to eight foot wingspan range with flaps, ailerons, rudder and elevator control surfaces.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:06 PM
TFLG

Don't go with the TG-3 for slope flying. The 60" 1-26 is a much better "trainer plane" if you like that style of plane. Get at least a 4 channel radio. Like already stated buy the best radio you can but at the very minimum get a 4 channel. A six channel entry level computer radios is great way to go. That should last you a few years unless you get into large racing or scale slopers ( The Airtronics RD-6000 is a great little radio for example.) If you do get into the hobby be sure to hook up with some flyers and get some instruction. It's way easier with a little help. You will also need to know where you can fly, where you can't etc and the best way to find this out is with help from the locals. There is a great slope soaring forum over on RC groups and lots of NorCal flyers post on there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97

TFLG
Old 01-10-2006, 01:06 AM
hanknmorgan

is the 1-26 as durable as the tg-3? I understand the advice to get the nicest radio possible, but I dont really have the budget for much. The cheapest I can get by while still having fun and having a decent setup os what I need. I know I wont have a super high performance deal or anything, but hopefully it will still be fun.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:31 AM
hanknmorgan

Also, are the wings removable for transport on these planes? I am just wondering how I am going to get that thing in my car.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:36 AM
kuga220

As a beginner I would recommend a simulator for learning of models behavior and training skills.
SSS from http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/slope_soaring_sim/ helped me a lot.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
JasonS

If you are trying to learn how to fly AND slope at the same time, an EPP wing is IMHO the only way to go. These things are tough. The wingtip vertical stabs are about the only thing that gets knocked off. A small roll of strapping tape in your pocket is about all you need for field repair. Definitely swing for a radio with some mixing, dual rates, and expo. - You will want all that for a delta. Plus, a decent xmitter will have a trainer port. Use standard servos so they don't strip everytime you hit something.
You can get something with 6 or 7 ch. for under $200.
Get one of those cheap adapters to make your xmitter work with one of the free sims. FMS is decent.
Now, have an experienced flyer trim it out for you and show you how to stay in the lift zone, and you will do ok.

So, for under $300 you can set up the plane, a radio that will fly just about anything, and a simulator.

My elcheapo non carbon spar Zagi flies great off of a meager 50' high dam site in winds from 15 - 45 mph. Above 30 mph just use some of that strapping tape to fasten one of your old car battery packs on for ballast - and rip it up.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:02 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hank,
The best advice is to go out to your local slope site and talk to some of the people out there to see what they're flying and what kind of radios they have. Most people are more than willing to talk about their hobby (except maybe when they're flying)
As far as a radio goes, if you're going slope flying, you can fly a LOT of different planes on a 2-channel setup (either rudder/elevator for floaters, or aileron/elevator for about everything else) If you can spring for a 3-4 channel setup, all the better because you do get planes that throw in rudder and /or spoilers/flaps for more control. Just stay away from single conversion setups. IMHO, they don't have the range required to fly safely.
The 1-26 is a good airplane. It's tough and rugged, flies well and transports easily. With DAW out of business, you have to get it through Sky King R/C products.
Slope is a great time. Good luck and have fun.

papermache
Old 01-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Hans Dahl Christensen

Hi Hank.

Look into :

www.f3j.dk
www.gliders.dk
www.iggnorge.com
www.igg-sverige.se

This should give you some inspiration.

Kind regards,

HLD - OY-9901
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
slopeboy

Hi Hank! One man's junk is one man's treasures. So I'am going to help you. First how much you want to spend? Try ebay. Rc swap meets are really good. I bought a lot planes at swap meets. Search for sale adds on RCGroups.com. Post wanted adds on groups too! I got a three channel Futaba on Ebay for $10.00 it needs a battery and crystal. Please e-mail me at [email protected] anytime. I have some planes I need to get out of my garage. Late.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
hanknmorgan

I did end up getting a 48" EPP combatwing for free from a local. I just had to fix it up and purchase some electronics for it. I got a used Hitec Flash 5x for $30, a Berg 4L Reciever and two hitec hs322 heavy duty standard size servos. It's been a blast to fly and I agree the wing is a great first slope plane. I prefer the look of a standard wing/fuse plane, but the EPP is good stuff. Thanks for your help everyone.