Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sailplane Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 01:12 AM
rrdodge1283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailplane Info

I am a new flyer and would like to start with an electric powered sailplane with at least a 100" wingspan. Is there anyone who could give me some advise on large electric sailplanes?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Ollie

Default Sailplane Info

Large electric sailplanes are expensive and, because of the inertia of heavy batteries are not very tolerant of hard landings. If there are compelling reasons for starting with a large electric sailplane, then I strongly recommend that you hook up with a group of experienced electric fliers for recommendations and flight instruction. Powerful electric motors are quite safe when properly installed, set up and operated and can be quite dangerous when not.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:33 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sailplane Info

Ollie is right, of course, but if you want to go ahead anyway, look here: Esprit Models.
Look under sailplanes and there, under "sport sailplanes" and "electric sailplanes"
There are several which would fit your bill nicely :

The Tycoon, 108 " span, Rudder/Elevator.
The Falcon, 136" span, full house.

These two come as "pure" sailplanes, and have to be converted to electric, i.e. you have to cut off the nose in order to install the electric drive.
I have the Falcon powered by a Kontronik drive set 502, 17x11 aeronaut folding prop, and 8 cells, and am very pleased with the quality of the plane and it's flying.

The other 2 which might be interesting for you, are already prepared for electric drive installation :

The Ellipsoid, 110" span, full house.
The XL 3200, 126" span, also full house.

Esprit models also carry the requiered drive components.

Another good source would be aero-model , they carrry FVK's sailplanes, although these are more expensive. Sean at aero-model can also recommend suitable power setups, and provide them. For this it is best to call him.

Michael
Old 11-24-2002, 05:47 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Sailplane Info

I you have some previous modeling background then I'd say fine. Otherwise I'd stay with a slightly smaller, or at least lighter, model that uses a 7 cell pack and motor combo. Everything is less wieght and the support equipment is a little less $.

I sort of agree with the heavier innards being harder on the model but really the 7 cell packs and motor are pretty heavy for the smaller models as well so I don't really see that as an issue.

But compared to a pure glider ANY electric glider is flying around with a sledge hammer inside it waiting for an opportunity to burst out from the inside like the Alien out of that poor space miner's guts. If you have a good instructor then fine but if you're in a situation where the support is someone else that still has their own share of crashes then you may be better off with a pure glider and high start IMO.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:30 PM
forrest adams

Default Sailplane Info

contact hobby lobby
Old 12-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Shredz

Default Sailplane Info

I've just started again after a hiatus of...maybe 22 years. I built and flew a Kraft Ugly Stick, but after a few very hard landings at a remote field, I sold what was left.

I've got to admit that when I first looked at them, small sailplanes didn't do it for me. However, after going down to the local flying spot, I saw some things that changed my mind.

One of the fellows that had a hand launch glider was discus flinging his plane in to air and practicing landing into his hand. He was getting his plane in to the air without a winch and could do all the practice he wanted. Some of the landings weren't even close and a few were, but since the plane had less mass, less or no damage occurred during the rough ones.

Electric powered is interesting to me as well. As a newbie, after seeing the hand launch and several landings, I figure keeping the size and weight down will keep repairs and costs to a minimum while I learn how to land properly. I might look at a plane no bigger than a 2 meter wingspan for an electric, which is the size of plane I have on the bench right now- but it's not powered.

Good luck

Ted
Old 12-14-2002, 12:43 AM
rrdodge1283

Default glider

Yes my brother commited and bought a flash5 sx (Hitech) for the transmitter and a Victory Res Light glider, which has 121" wingspan no power, 53-55 oz, will practice on simulator and plan on using a high start next, bought through Northeast sailplanes in Vermont, USA. Hope there good and hope he made the right decsion being that it did state Int/ Nov plane was 579.95!!only!
Old 12-14-2002, 02:48 AM
Ollie

Default Sailplane Info

Do your brother and yourself a big favor and contact:
CINCINNATI SOARING SOCIETY
JOHN P MEASAMER
8780 WELLERSTATION DR
CINCINNATI OH 45249-2715
[email protected]
513-247-0803
They will welcome you to one of their flying sessions and help you get the Victory RES trimmed so you can safely fly it. They will give you flight instruction if you need it. You could save yourself a great big $579.95 crash if you go it alone and don't get everything right the first time.