Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Majestic 110 by Laser Arts, build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Majestic 110 by Laser Arts, build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Justin2895

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Majestic 110 by Laser Arts, build thread

I am thinking of doing my first build thread with this sailplane. I wouldn't start for a few days, or maybe a week or so but I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing this bird go together?

I also had a question about maybe adding ailerons and i wanted to maybe get some peoples opinions about that. Would i have to reduce the polyhedral angle for that or would it be fine?
Or would this bird do just fine as a V-tail and spoiler airplane?

Any comments are welcome about this plane as the instructions do not take you through each little baby step to assemble this plane, (i knew this in advance so its OK)

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????!!! I'm ready to build this plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33486.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	416826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33135.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	416827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12671.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	416828  
Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Majestic 110 by Laser Arts, build thread

I'd be interested in the build.... I've had my eye on this bird for a while but never have broke down and made the purchase yet. I've talked to several people who has flown this bird and is flying this bird. I've also talked to Brian at Laser Arts about the plane. I'm sure you will have several people tell you all the mods that have to be done to the plane. I've talked to a bunch of people and if you plan to just use a high start only the only mod you need to do to the wing is add the washout stated in the instruction book. If you use a winch then you will have to wrap the spars likes on the mod list. Also your gonna have a ton of people tell you the stock boom is crap and to replace it. The boom is not the problem... its the "V" tail they are so big that the boom cant handle the torsional loads they place on it. I sit down and drew out a classic tail for the Majestic. One of the guys I was talking to about the Majestic has built and flow both the "V" tail version and the classic tail and he said the classic tail flies 10 times better than the "V" and he uses the stock boom.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Justin2895

I don't believe I have seen the classic tail version of this plane... I will only be using a high start on this so wing strength should not be a problem. One of the reasons I bought this plane was for the V-tail I think it will look very good, So strengthening the boom would probably be an option... "What are my options?"

Justin
Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 PM
bckyrdbshr

The classic tail design looks real sexy on that bird!!!!! As far as the boom goes the recommended replacement for the stock fiber glass boom is the "Bubble Dancer" boom. I checked tail boom.com and it seems the BD boom has been discontinued. Other than that I don't know what to tell you on the boom. I'm sure with enough searching you should be able to locate a BD boom. As far as the BD boom goes it isn't the same length or size as the stock boom. The BD boom is smaller in diameter (makes it a little harder to glue push rods in) and its shorter in length. Last I heard you could move the boom back and make a new former to accept the boom or you can tell Brian that you plan to use the BD boom and he can laser cut you the new former to fit the boom. Here is a link to a pic of the Majestic with the classic tail. [link=http://www.mbone.rchomepage.com/images/s%20Hanger%20004%20(Small).jpg]Click Me[/link]
Old 02-28-2006, 04:21 AM
Justin2895

I do like the looks of that classic tail do you have drawings for that available...
As for the new boom it sounds like it doesn't really match at all. I was thinking of maybe strengthening with carbon fiber Strips??? What do you think about that

Justin
Old 02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
bckyrdbshr

As far as the boom goes that should work no problem might make it a tad heavier. If you decide to do the classic tail design you want have to do anything to the boom. I've got a set of drawings I made if I can locate them. Real easy to do and takes a very short time to draw out. I used graph paper and just taped the sheets together. Below are the measurements for the classic tail.
Here are the details on the tail.

Horizontal tail length: 25"
Fixed stab chord: 4" root>3" tip
Elevator: 2" root> 1.5" tip

Thickness is 1/4" rounded LE and tapered TE
Make the spar from 1/4X1/8" spruce laminated to a similar dimensioned piece of balsa.
Make center section from 2" wide by .25" thick balsa
LE 3/4" wide at root taper to 3/8"wide at tip

Make the Stab mount from 3/8" thick by .5" high balsa. Mount stab with nylon bolts going through the boom. Reinforce area where bolt goes through the top of the stab with 1/64" ply around bolt hole.

Vertical Stab: 11.5 " tall (above boom)
3 3/8" bottom > 1 5/8" top

rudder: 4.5" bottom > 2.5" top
Make the spar the same as for the horizontal stab. Make the spar long enough so that you can glue it with epoxy to the aft end of the boom i.e the vertical stab spar extend past the boom.
The vertical stab is mounted at the end of the boom and the horizontal stab is mounted in front to the LE of the vertical stab. You can put a notch in the elevator to get the stab aft a bit more
Old 02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Justin2895

I think i could do that I would love to see your drawings though
Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Justin2895

PROGRESS HAS BEGUN!!!!! Well not really, I did however go out and buy a ceiling tile for my building board and I got the first wing panel pinned on so I guess its a start
I'm going to write an email to laser arts concerning a few questions I have.
Will probably start tomorrow, will See how things go.

Justin

Name:	Ax72965.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	417780  
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 AM
bckyrdbshr

Cool.... You should have it in the by the next week right??
Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Justin2895

Oh yeah! Ill have this baby in the air by next week! Just kidding
I did however send the wife to the hobby store today to pick up some T-pins, Fresh CA and some new X-acto blades. Shes the best

I believe progress will begin tonight, will see how it goes

Justin
Old 03-02-2006, 02:02 AM
bckyrdbshr

Ive built one of the Scepter 100's from L.A so if the Majestic builds like it does it will almost fall together..... Your making me want to start on a Majestic now!!!! I'll have to wait though [] I'm currently working on a Spirit Elite 2m full house (one with fiberglass fuse) couldn't pass up the deal, I had some credit on my tower hobbies account so I got the plane and lots of other stuff I needed and with my credit I had it only cost me $59.24 out of pocket.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:04 AM
Justin2895

This almost became a spirit elite build thread.... I have always want one of those but chose to build something a little more unusual... You will have to let me know how it flies!

Did your ever find those classic tail drawings?

I OFFICIALLY STARTED THIS EVENING!!!
Everything went really well, as you said.. It pretty much is falling together.
The only issue so far I have had is with the ribs having a very slight bow in them, This will easily be fixed when i attach the leading edge though, so its OK.

Name:	Nl28493.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	418575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12898.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	418576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75801.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	418577  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
bckyrdbshr

Looking good!! Maybe I will get to fly it some day soon Even though its an ARF I still have lots of work ahead of me. For a 2m ship its a little on the heavy side so its going on a diet I'm making my own control horns, replacing the steel wing joiner with carbon fiber, replacing rudder push rod with pull-pull system, replacing elevator push rod with .070 carbon fiber, remove covering from rudder, elevator, ailerons, flaps and lighten those up and then recover them. Lots of work but I think it will be worth it in the end... Also I did locate the drawings I made of the Majestic tail so if you want shoot me a P.M with your mailing address and I'll go copy them and send one your way.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Justin2895

Sent you a pm
Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Justin2895

Yeah thats one of the thing that kinda pointed me in a different direction concerning the elite
Although I have herd good things about it after a little weight loss

I messed around on the computer the other night and drew up some plans based on your measurements of the classic tail and with the help of the photo but the only thing I could really see clearly was the rudder, so thats all the farther I got. The plans would really help.

I just got home I may do a little work on the plane tonight

Will post pictures of my progress

Justin
Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 AM
bckyrdbshr

I'll get the plans out to you first thing in the morning... I tried to have them copied but couldn't get them to turn out right so I'll just send you my originals and I can make another for myself. The measurements I posted for you where the original ones but the ones on the plans may differ a little. Besides a couple of little water stains (messed around and set them in some water spots on my kitchen table) besides that they are good to go. I was going with the built up tail but was going to sheet it with 1/64" ply. The plans will give you a good idea of how to build it. After looking at the plans for the tail and looking at your build pics I've decided to order a Majestic myself!!! I'm going to wait until around the first or second week of next month to order because if I order it now I'll end up throwing the Spirit off to the side and never finishing it. I look forward to seeing more build pics of your Majestic.

Blake
Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
bckyrdbshr

Just wanted to let you know that the plans are on the way to you...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Justin2895

thanks so much....

I got the leading edge on last night but that was about it, kinda fooled around with the sheer webing a little bit but dident glue anything.

Will try to post some pics a little later this evening

Justin
Old 03-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Justin2895

Updates...

I am having some trouble understanding the instructions and the plans, so progress is a bit slow. I think once i get through this first panel the rest should go real quick.
I have asked a few questions to laser arts, Brian has been very helpful so far.
my questions should be answered tomorrow so hopefully i will get much more done. Plus I got a 3 day weekend coming sun mon tues

Justin

Name:	Qo40585.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	419805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57736.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	419806  
Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
f2titan

Hey, looking good. I'll keep looking for new posts.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:01 PM
bckyrdbshr

Looking good Justin.... Hope you get your little problems sorted out. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. I also plan to document my build and mods on the spirit on my home page. I'll post a link when I get up and going. I ordered a set of digital postal scales to see what progress I make.

Blake
Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Justin2895

I am still awaiting a response from laser arts. I just sent an email to check and make sure he got my last one
So progress has not got any farther
Hopefully ill get an email tomorrow so I can work on the wing all day and get some real progress done

Justin
Old 03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Justin2895

Just when I think I am going to get a lot of work done today, I hit a snag. I am having a few issues with the sheeting on the wing which is what I wanted to get finished through. I have posted a question to laser arts and am awaiting a response.

I also walked out to my mailbox today and received your plans "THANK YOU !!!!", I think I will go ahead and do both tails and see which on I like, I think I am leaning toward the classic tail though

The pictures above of the sheer webbing where kind of a teaser, they were not actually glued in yet. I got them in today along with the top spar and the trailing edge sheeting on the top of the wing...

That is all for now

Justin

Name:	Ro41902.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	421632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50922.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	421633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44084.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	421634  
Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 PM
bckyrdbshr

Looking good Justin... Glad the plans made it to you OK. Hope the plans are not to confusing for you because I know the measurement's on the plans differ from the original dimension's I sent you. I've also contemplated on having a foam classic tail cut for the Majestic also. I've talked to Bob at flyingfoam.com about it in the past and he can cut a foam tail for it. I also found out he can cut a foam wing for the Majestic with the same airfoil and with the washout added.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Justin2895

that would be pretty neat. I wonder what the weight difference would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.