Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Power for 2m Aspire

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Uncle Ted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power for 2m Aspire

I have a Mega 1615/2 that I would like to install in a 2mAspire . What gearbox ,battery and folding prop would you reommend and where can I purchase these components? Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power for 2m Aspire

I fly an Aspire with a Phasor 30/3 direct drive on a 3 cell LiPO.

I ran some numbers through MotoCal for your mega 16/15/2 and I don't see a combination of components that would work very good for the Aspire.

I think the Mega 16/15/2 is better suited for duct fans.

Don't be discouraged as I am no expert. Maybe there is a set up that will work with your motor.

bob
Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Uncle Ted

Bob B -This Mega 1615/2 was intended for a ducted fan but changed plans . NESP suggests that this motor should be used for 2m sailplanes and I have E-mailed them and waiting for a reply. I thought a4.3:1 gearbox but need help beyond that. What prop and ESC are you using on your Phasor motor ?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 PM
sawdust

With the Phasor 30/3 I have been using a 3200 3s1p Kokam Lipo, Castle Creation 45, and a 9 X 6 or a 9 X7 folding prop, direct drive. I forget what the rpm is but you want to use a prop rated at the correct RPM. This set up takes the Aspire up vertical. I don't fly it this way as you will rip the wings off. Hour flights are the norm.

I am going to test a 3300 8 cell nimh and a 10 x 6 or a 11 X6 prop soon. Just need a little better weather here in Northern Indiana. I destroyed my 3200 Lipo in a crash late last season.

bob

Old 03-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Uncle Ted

Bob -Thanks for the imfo.There is hope for the weather as March progresses. If I buy a new motor I intend to investigate a outrunner which supplies more torque than conventional motors. Do you have any experience with the outrunnres? Ted
Old 03-11-2006, 09:31 PM
sawdust

Ted I have no experience with an outrunner. Before you buy one for the Aspire make sure it will fit without too much work on the nose.

I will be retiring this year and I am going to get a couple of outrunners to experiment with on sailplanes.

I am not going to invest anymore money in electric motors or lipo batteries until after the big Toledo show. All the vendors will be there so I can ask them about all of the changes going on right now particulary with batteries and charging methods.

bob