Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need ideas on airtow connection

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need ideas on airtow connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas on airtow connection

I have tried towing a sailplane aloft with poor results. Infact, the sail plane looked more like a leaf on a string, twirling around and generally uncontrolable. This time I'd like a little higher success rate...so, a few questions about the attachment to the sailplane and towng:
1) Should the attachment be on the very point of the fuse or slightly aft?
2) For the release (on the previous attempt) I had a loop of wire with a 2nd wire through the middle that held the tow line secure. This 2nd wire was attached to the elevator servo and full up would release the tow line. Any ideas or suggestions here?
3)To tow the sailplane aloft, We tried slow climbing circles and an almost verticle climbout to release altituted. Of the 5 or 6 attempts, the verticle climbout is the only one that had even limited success...Attempt # 7 was the last attempt, after that I didn't have a sailplane with wings anymore!

Now with a new sailplane (Bird of Time ARF) that I would like to fly on multiple days...I'm seeking advise...

Murphey (As in Murphey's Law)
Old 04-01-2006, 10:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Need ideas on airtow connection

Was this first one a polyhedral glider? I've heard that poly gliders don't do well with aerotowing.