Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

power pod

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:17 PM
keith cornetet
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power pod

I have an old 6 ft. kit . (drifter II). It shows an add on power pod above the wing. I am thinking of shortening the nose an adding a .o49 cox. Which is the best choice?? Thanks KEITH
Old 12-11-2002, 03:01 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default motor

Put a Norvel 061 r/c on , thats what I have on mine flys great with 6-3 cox prop
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Ollie

Default power pod

Performance will be better with the nose mounted engine. There will be less weight and drag added.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:50 AM
keith cornetet
My Feedback: (2)

Default power pod

Thanks guys , Now how about thrust angles. Do you run the norvell wide open or use a servo ?? Id like to stay with the .049 if it will pull this big plane. KEITH
Old 12-13-2002, 02:27 AM
jetranger-RCU

Default engine

I have mine mounted on the nose and flaired in with spinner two ounce tank. I have the 061 RC full power get 10-12 minutes, but it's a lot of fun to fly a few feet off the ground at 1/2 power. I fly it more like a reg. plane just putting around having fun. I have about 3-4 deg. down and about2-3 right
Old 06-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Beulzabob

Default power pod

I'm also looking to get/build a power pod for my 2 meter. I have a nice field to fly(over), but it is covered with very nasty sticker type weeds. I want to put either a .020 or .049 on the power pod and don't want to do a mod on this bird now because I have it nicely balanced for my histart(which, of course I would use if it wasn't for the weeds!!).

My question, has anyone used this configuration and what tips do you have for balancing?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Old 06-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Aeronca

Default power pod

I have several gliders & fly them all with top mounted pods. I've used a cox TD 051 on my Sofisticated Lady & my 100 inch Oly II
I use an .09 enya on my 3 meter Bird of Time & Full house Alceone. The bigest advantage to a strap on top pod is that when you want to go to the slope you just leave it off.
I've had many flights of over a hour after just a 2 to 4 minute engine run. Give it a try, bet you like it.

Tim
Old 06-25-2003, 02:20 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default power pod

As you're seeing the strap on pod is great for those that don't want the engine all the time. If you are content to have a power launched bird then the nose mounted engine is a lot cleaner overall.

I'd cut off the nose block and mount a firewall about 1 1/2 inches back from the front of the sides. And build in about 3 to 4 degrees of downthrust and a couple of degrees of right thrust. Either mount the engine between the sides to act as a fairing and use a 1 1/2 inch spinner or cut the sides off flush with the firewall. Either way be sure to use some figerglass as the firewall reinforcing. The old models just had balsa in the nose. One rough nose first prang and it would pop the firewall out otherwise.

A basic Cox reed valve engine like a Black Widow or Baby Bee should take it up fine. The motor run will be long enough just on full throttle to get you up to about 400 to 600 feet. No throttle needed.

It sounds like jetranger is using it more as a power model. 2 oz would get the model SO high if you just wanted to climb that it would be well beyond visual range. But if that's what you want then go for it but in that case you'll want the extra oomph of the Norvel. FOr this I'd set it up with a throttle that I can use to control the speed as well as cut the engine. Do a bunch of stunts, shoot up the field with high (?) speed passes and then reach for the clouds and cut the engine for some relaxed thermal flying. 1/2 hour flights of this sort should be simple with a little pratice.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Beulzabob

Default power pod

Thanks guys,

I found a cox helicopter engine (.049 surestart) that the seller claims would be easy to modify for c/l, so I'm assuming it will also work for this application. I'll pick up a powerpod kit and give it a try.

Any preferences for what brand pod kit??

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-01-2003, 04:30 AM
Beulzabob

Default power pod

I received the .049 surestart engine today and have almost completed a sig powerpod. This was the engine that was apparently used in a commache helicopter that cox marketed for awhile. I'm a bit concerned, one of the places still selling the copter states that it runs for 30-40 seconds. I'm hoping for about a 2 minute run. I'll bench test it in the next couple of days.

Does anyone know how to rig this engine for a remote tank?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Old 07-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Beulzabob

Default power pod

Tested the .049 surestart today. Not quite aptly named, but anyway...

I'd say that 30 to 40 seconds would be extremely optimistic with the "micro" gas tank that came with it. I'll have to mount an external tank somehow. I won another .049 with the normal (8cc?) gas tank on bank. If it doesn't run well, I'll put the tank on the surestart frontend.

Can't wait to finish this. Will be almost 3 weeks since I've flown my glider!

Robert :disappoin
Old 07-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Beulzabob

Default power pod

Another update,

What I thought was a Black Widow or Bee engine, turned out to be a thimble drome. I'm only able to get about 3cc of fuel into the tank. Does that sound about right? I posted another thread about the Kavan tank extender and am hoping it will work on this engine. I also had problems getting it to run right. It's been a number of years since I've run a cox engine. I found I had to replace the pickup tube in the fuel cylinder. It was alternately running rich and lean, no matter where I set the idle. Now I can get about a 2 minute run out of the 3cc tank. Like I said, these little engines are still a bit new to me, so I'd appreciate any tips on getting them to run better.

Cheers,

Robert