Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

From scratch

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 06:23 PM
ZackDark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From scratch

Hey,

i want to build a foam glider wing "litteraly" from scratch (no kits or anything, except for the eletronics)

is there such kind of guides in the internet?
if not i'd be pretty glad to get from you guys step-by-step pictures and/or directions on the shaping of the foam and the installing of the eletronics

well, i'm fowardly thanking all/any help given
Old 04-09-2006, 09:31 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: From scratch

Try this:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supra/supra.htm
Old 04-09-2006, 10:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZackDark
...... shaping of the foam and the installing of the eletronics
First off Welcome to RCU and your first post!

ZackDark, are we talking about a flying wing Zagi style wing or a wing for a " regular" style design? Also I have to ask about if you are looking at vacuum bagging fiberglass and epoxy onto this foam wing or just applying some sort of sheeting?

As for cutting the foam there's tons of information out on the web about how to set up cutters from simple one person bows to complex CNC controlled foam cutting machines. Similarly there's lots of sites about vacuum bagging. They are all just a google away. So help us to help you. What's your skill level, what are you trying to build and why is it so different from the other stuff out there already? Perhaps you're just not using the best search words?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM
ZackDark

well, i mean those b-2-like gliders

it's really hard to buy them here in Brazil, cuz the import taxes doubles most of the fun stuff (only books, clothes and other unimportant things get small taxes) so i was planning on building it myself...

i never even flown one, i just saw a few of them doing those awesome maneuvers by the beach, so i tought "hey, this is pretty cool!", so me and my father are looking for info on building them since then...

i still haven't checked that link on the first reply, but if it helps in any way, i'll be glad to tell you guys

(btw, in portuguese, the techinical stuff are quite different, so please, don't use many abreviations, as i don't really get them... and what is vaccum bagging?)
Old 04-10-2006, 06:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Zack, in that case it's fairly easy. Start by downloading and installing Profili2 from www.profili2.com . In that software there is a Zagi airfoil. From there try to come up with a top plan of the wing for the B2 or Zagi from pictures and a size that you want to build. Set the span and then set the root and tip chord so they line up like in the pictures.

Will this be a slope glider or electric powered? If electric what motors do you have available? Also what kind of foam will you be making it from?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:42 AM
ZackDark

i was thinking about a slope glider, so i don't have to keep changing batteries.

and i was thinking about regular foam, the ones you use to do school projects and stuff, and then coat it w/ something more resistant or something to keep the foam together, like green or silver tape

(btw, i've checked the program and it's pretty cool, but it doesn't especify the sheeting material, nor the flaps position)