Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Converted Dynaflite Butterfly

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Converted Dynaflite Butterfly

Old 05-21-2006, 11:53 AM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converted Dynaflite Butterfly

Attached is a photo of my converted Butterfly. Those not familiar with this plane...... it is a "so called trainer", with a 99" span, is sold to be glow powered. I had a .15 glow engine on it and it was actually, partially converted, to a sailplane configuration with the glow power.
See this thread, post #6 for some other photos and history.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2767752

This winter I went all the way and put electric power in it. I built new tail feathers too. It has an AXI 2820/10 motor and 7 cell nicads that swing a 13 x 6.5 prop. This is plenty of power for this ship, RTF at 63 oz.
I am now building a Ray Hayes, XL Big Bird. The RTF specifications for this sailplane will be so close to the Butterfly, (except for the span), that I can use the same power set up on the Bird too. I did the fuse first, (about 80% finished), and will be doing the wings last.
I am a slow builder, but I am anxious to finish and fly the XL Big Bird .... lownslo.....
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44672.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	464529  
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Red_Jeepster

Default RE: Converted Dynaflite Butterfly

Hey LOWNSLO! It's your friendly Romanian Missionary! I have been looking at the Butterfly for months now as a project to build here in Romania. I have lots of great open rolling hills, and the thermals would be awesome since most of the hills are covered with crops.
Walking to retrieve an errant plane is no problem here.
My only problem is the fuel for a .15 It just aint happening here in Simleu. I have found 1 Hobby shop in all of Romania, and it is 10 hour drive away!
So I am also just considering going back to Glider Guiding like I did so well years ago.
Remember my little Ascent that Jack and I both have? It is about ready to make it's first "international" flight since it finally arrived with my other stuff this month.
Tell the guys in the club I said Buna Ziua (Hello)
BTW, Chuck gave me his set of plans for the Slow and Low he flys so often. I am thinking....
Old 05-24-2006, 06:12 AM
lownslo

Hey there Red Jeepster, What a shock to see your reply. We miss you here in Indy...........but I understand your mission in life. I am assuming that electric power is out for you too? Chucks Slow and Low really does get a workout. He does a lot of things with it. The Ray Hayes kit, (he is in Ft. Wayne IN).... is an XL Big Bird sailplane. He has a "Series" of Bird Kits from small to this XL with a 110" span. http://www.skybench.com/
The specs, when it is RTF, will come out VERY close to the Butterfly!![8D] The span is 11 inches greater but the square inches are within 5. This makes the wing loading figure come out within a fraction of an ounce of each other. (Electric set up RTF... 10.0 oz. per sq. ft.). I am now almost finished with the fuse.
Ray's Birds are NOT for the begining builder but should pose no problem for a guy with one or two kits under his belt. Plans are not "photo detailed" very well, and some things have changed. (Plans/to kit improvements). That being said..... the actual kit contents are VERY good. The laser cut parts today are sooooo acurate, and his wood selection for the parts are very good quality. Rolled plans.... also.. some wood parts and hardware are in seperate bags depending on their placement. I would recomend this kit highly for quality. Attached is a Big Bird Photo from his site. This one has a 100" span. My XL will be the same, except there are added bays to the wing. Well .... hope the Ascent flight goes well. I will tell the guys hello. ....... lownslo
Bob

Name:	Tr51526.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	465787  
Old 05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Red_Jeepster

I have been looking at that website since the day I wrote you. I really do like the BIG BIRD series! It has grabbed my attention away from the Dynaflight B.O.T.
Electric works well here. I gave my High Start to a friend, so have to get creative on launches if I don't go electric. I have some great steep hills here, so no problem.
I have NO knowledge of Freq. Control here in Romania. SO... I am flying without a Freq card on the board! LOL

Tom
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
lownslo

Yeahhhh Red Jeepster...... I "window shopped" the Skybench site for months before I decided on the XL B/B. I like the larger wingspans and the BOT is 118", but I feel the 110" Big Bird is OK since I love the plug in wings in the Big Bird design. I ask for the carbon fiber wing rod instead of steel, and of course it was supplied as advertised. My fuse is just about finished, and ready to cover, so I will be starting the wings next. Receiver, motor, controller, and servos are all in place. I will most likely put spoilers in the wings. I attended a sailplane contest at the AMA headquarters Sat. as a spectator. Being new to sailplanes, I have never seen a winch work before. I may ship you an email with some photos I took.There were a LOT of big sailplanes at the meet, scale, and otherwise too. So long from Indy. .....lownslo...
PS. Skybench also has a "Nostalgic" section with some older designs that Ray has kitted. A lot of them are improved with laser cut pieces. Attched here is the Astro-Jeff I saw at the contest with a 151" span. I put my hat in the other photo to show the relative size of the big white scale sailplane.
Bob

Name:	Nl30245.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	468352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36543.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	468353