Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

H9 aspire electric power conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

H9 aspire electric power conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 aspire electric power conversion

I just installed a landing gear on my aspire and now considering electric pod powering the plane. Anybody have a semi cheap idea on how to do so. I installed the gear because our field has an asphalt runway. Will a brushed 550 motor and an 8x4 prop do the job well or should i look for something better?. How about the master aircrew 05 can and gear reduction combo with a 12" prop?. Any help would be greatly apprecitated. Kinda looking for more than a so-so performance.

Thanks
Smokey
Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 aspire electric power conversion

I have flown the Aspire EP with the Master AirScrew 3:1 with the included 12 x 8 prop. I used an 8 cell 3300 nimh battery. You do not want to run the motor too long as you will smoke the motor.

I flew the plane for 11/2 seasons. I got careless and lost the plane to a strong thermal. The plane was never found.

The Aspire is a good thermal plane. Do not do any high speed dives as the wings will fold.

I have flown the Aspire EP with a Phasor 30/3. But it is too much motor for the plane.

Try the Master AirScrew setup. It is a cheap solution.

bob
Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Smokey

Thanks so much for responding. How much flight time do you get with the Master airscrew and th 3300 nimh battery? I was thinking of running lipo.

Smokey
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
sawdust

You will get 6 to 7 minutes of full power run time with the 8 cell 3300mah pack. This pack is very heavy when compared to a LiPo pack. The weight difference, if I remember correctly, is close to a pound when compared it to a 3 cell 3200 LiPo. The problem is that the 11.1 volts will quickly destroy your Master AirScrew 05 motor if you do not do short motor runs. If you use a 2 cell Lipo you only get 7.4 volts and I am not sure just how much performance is lost. It isn't very costly to replace the 05.

Do you have a motor calculation program? One of these is almost a necessity for electric flight. Here is an online one that is pretty good.

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

bob

Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Smokey

I was considering using a 2 cell lipo pack. The 05 motor is rated for 7.2V from what i remember. I do have a PJS 800 outrunner motor laying around. If the 05 is not enough, I will try the outrunner.
P.s. do you have a picture of your pod installation?

Smokey
Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
sawdust

My Aspire was an EP so my motor was mounted in the nose.

I have a friend that converted the Aspire to powered using the Master AirScrew setup. He cut off the nose of the aspire and installed the motor.

For my Phasor mount I just cut off the nose, even on the EP verison, and glued on a lazor cut mount. You need 3 thick for the phasor but 2 thick will work for the 05.

I cut off the nose with a hobby saw. The stronger the motor the more down and right thrust you will need. You will not need very much for the 05.

I epoxy the motor mount to the front of the plane. Make sure every thing is aligned. You wiil need a piece of balsa to hold up the back of the motor.

Once the epoxy is dry, cut and sand it even with the side and bottom of the nose. Then glue some pieces of thin bass wood or plywood on the sides and bottom extending out over the nose mount. Thisi will make a strong mount. Note you may have to move the spur gear out a bit as the mount will be between the motor and the gear box. Master AirScreew tells you how to check to make sure the gears are messing properly.

bob