Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

T or V tail

Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
flaphoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T or V tail

narrowing my choice on a 3M electric glider. What are the major differences between a T or a V tail glider? I want to use a JR10X helicopter radio which has a great deal of mixing capabilities that will most likely cover any needs, but I am totally unfamiliar with how to handle the setup of a V tail. (I am waiting on a call back from a local club to pick their brains and get some real world advice).
I have narrowed my choices down a bit after reading this forum (I am a newbie to gliders) I am interested in the Stork E (V tail), XL3200 (T Tail) or a Baracuda (T Tail).
Can't wait to get started, after reading some of the reasons you guys love the gliders. Comparisons to fly fishing kept me daydreaming about my first glider all day.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:09 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: T or V tail

IMHO T tail any day over a V tail! The only disadvantages of a T tail are they tend to weigh a little more, usually not a problem on a electric sailplane, and the break in contest type dork landings, again usually not a problem with a electric sailplane.

In real sailplanes which do you see the most.........T tails, V tails are very rare.

Rich
Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
flaphoto

What is a 'Dork landing'? (sorry, new to gliders and glider terminology).

I gather from your response that you prefer T tails, but didn't fully understand why, besides they are more likely seen on the real full size gliders. All other things being equal, I guess I would choose a T tail as I understand how they should operate (opposed to some learning I will have to do on the V tail). Unfortunately, going with a T tail eliminates the glider at the top of my list, the Stork E. Can you or anyone else give me just a little more detail on the choice. I really want to get my bird ordered so I have time to fly before the snow comes back here in Michigan.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

In sailplane contest landings are very important, too important IMHO, so guys fly over the landing circle and dork it in to it the center of the circle. A dork would be anything over 30* dive into the spot, lots of planes stick into the ground doing a dork. To me if you where in the plane and could not walk away from the landing it would be a dork.

Normal tails and T tails up and down are up and down. V tails every thing is mixed, I don't think they grove as well, but lots of people love'm, and now with the computer radios you can get them to work well. If the Stork E floats your boat, buy it! If it's your favorite plane it will feel good flying it, the differences between V and T wouldn't matter to me if that the plane I wanted.

Get the Stork E. BTW E-sailplanes is the way to get into sailplaning IMHO.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Hans Dahl Christensen

Hello Flaphoto .

I suggest that you look into : www.gliders.dk and www.f3j.dk

This should fullfill all your needs for setting up the mentioned model.

As for my self : I have flow with sailplanemodels in class F3J for years and years and mostly with V-tail models but also with T-tail models.

Both are exellent but maybe is the T-tail model a bit easier to control - not thjat it matters - look into contest reports.

May i wish you all the luck you need !!

KR

hld - OY-9901