Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

newbielicious!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 01:40 AM
chair-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbielicious!

ive never flown a r/c plane before, but i have always been really interested in them

i used to have this cool styrofoam plane that you popped the wings in, and you could adjust the rear wing so that it would do flips or spins or whatever..it was pretty darn big too, for a hand thrown glider.

im quite a bit older since i last saw that thing, and id like to know where i can get them, maybe find different/better versions?, or i was browsing here and saw that some of you have some pretty cool r/c gliders, i dont want to spend $300 or anything like that on a super airplane, just something for a little fun in a field, links would be much appreciated thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 02:16 AM
SteveW
My Feedback: (36)

Default newbielicious!

Most Walmart stores have them in the toy department.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:22 AM
chair-RCU

Default newbielicious!

you sure?, i went to wallmart.com and couldnt find it..i guess ill stop by there sometime soon and check..

but what about cheapish r/c gliders?, i know nothing about them...so push me in the right direction here
Old 01-02-2003, 03:00 AM
fprintf

Default newbielicious!

You have a couple of choices:

1. Get a cheapie foam plane from Walmart -- I bought a bunch for $4.99 each. I think they are called a LifeLike glider. They fly ok once you get the rear stabilizer adjusted just right but they won't thermal.

2. You can buy a cheap electric plane from Walmart made by AirHogs for $49.00. It is a twin engine electric and goes quite smartly. It'll be enough to get you flying r/c and perhaps teach you a few things.

3. You can get a ready to fly package from Tower Hobbies or Hobby Lobby of either a pure glider, electric powered glider or electric trainer. For everything including the radio you are looking at spending upwards of $200.

4. You can spend more than that...

since you didn't give us your budget it is hard to provide an answer. Either way, if you go the #3 route please try and find someone to teach you to fly. There are usually clubs within an hours drive of most metropolitan areas in the US and they are happy to teach newbies to fly.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2003, 03:11 AM
chair-RCU

Default newbielicious!

air hogs huh? ill have a look

$50 is probably the most id spend on something like this, i mean later down the road when i have steady income id definately check out some of those jet powered r/c planes,

another question, does anyone ever put little parachute gi-joe things on their planes?, or like cameras.., anything fun like that?

and with these cheapo $5 gliders from wal mart, my friend already has some r/c plane, im wondering if there would be a way to successfully tow the glider? probably not worth it since you have no control of where it goes.., but would be a fun expieriment.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:31 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default newbielicious!

If you're trying to keep it super cheap then look into free flight towline gliders. There's a lot of stuff these do that you could modify the foam walmart one to copy. Like the auto rudder so it tows up straight and then goes into a preset turning flight and stuff like this.

And then there are the ready to fly electric powered parkflyers that Radio Shack and many others sell. These are better if you get someone to help you learn though. Otherwise the repair parts could get pricey. But basically if it's got a radio in it then you're looking at more than lunch money for the week.... Like $250 and up for the model land support gear.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:04 AM
chair-RCU

Default newbielicious!

haha lunch money!, im almost 20 man :P

anyway, i just went down to wal mart, didnt see any foamie planes that he mentioned is there a site that sells em?

oh and..its not that i dont want to spend the money on it, i mean its just i dont want to spend the money on something i may not even consistently do, its just something to fool around with you know..like hacking up the body on my r/c car,
Old 01-02-2003, 07:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default newbielicious!

If you just want something to dabble with then how about hand launch gliders? And I don't mean the radio equipped ones.

Here's a page with a lot of contest capable designs to tease you. $ for $ I doubt if you can get more fun and knowledge out of anything else. Yes you'll have to learn a bit of model building but these things will amaze you when trimmed properley. And it's quite possible to loose them in thermals.

http://website.lineone.net/~triggerfish/hand.htm

Aw heck. Here's a page with links to a whole lot of smaller free flight stuff. You'll find almost all you could ask for here.

And then there's the option of buying a pack of the thin blue fan fold foam that's used under vinyl siding. Lot's of people are building models of all types out of this stuff. You can see what some of them are doing at this site. It's mostly radio control electric stuff but you can also build a lot of simple gliders out of this stuff. Deltas, flying saucers, canards, flying wings and other options are all possible for just a few $ a couple of hours and some glue.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=25136

Oh, and we still eat lunch even if you're 49 like me. It's just that I can buy more with my lunch money these days than I did when in school...
Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 AM
chair-RCU

Default newbielicious!

i think ive found it!

53" wing span!

its huge like i remember it!, but the darn store doesnt have internet ordering! doh!

know anywhere else i can get this big glider?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Noah-Moore

Default newbielicious!

For what your talking about i'd have to recommend the Firebird from hobbyzone. It's really easy to fly, comes with everything, and is $99. Check it out