Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

help on choosing new plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
nikolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on choosing new plane

I am looking to get a new plane, I have been flying a 3 channel electric sailplane and would like to move up, but do not want to get something out of my abillity, there are so many choices I am lost. Looking for a good thermal flier that is strong to take rough landing and maybe limited aerobatics and large wing span in an ARF. Looking at staying with 3 channel (since that is all Hitech Neon transmitter can do). Either in electric on non-motorized. Since I am asking for help, how about one in 4 channel set up in case I move up to a better transmitter and what transmitter do you recommend. Thanks in advance, Nikolai
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Ispitfire

Default RE: help on choosing new plane

If I were to recommend somthing, FVK Optima XXL its 2.2m wingspan and the standard of those kits is stereotypicaly german, i.e good, precisely made high quality parts. You can get the fuselage in an electric or pure glider form check out the website www.fvk.de the website is in english as well as german and there is a contact e-mail to the english representative of the company so you wont have any problems with language. If the optimaXXL doesnt take yr fancy there are many more to chose from on the website....

As for transmitters, I use the Futaba 6EXA the only thing it cant do is crow braking, but having said that futaba have brought out a newer version of it since I bought mine so that might be able to do it....... As for mine it is a simple computer radio with all of the basic mixing functions and its easy to use.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the radios today that are above entry level will usually do about "everything". I've gone to JR and found they'll do crow and more mixing than I've got plans to use. It's also nice that the middle price ones label the channels with names other than numbers but that ain't a biggie.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't NEED to pass up on an aileron model. Locally the guys set up aileron models with the rudder coupled directly to the one control and they flew fine. You can do this either mechanically or with a second servo and a Y adapter off the rudder control channel. So you could start by using your Neon and get a full 4 channel later on.

Are you ready for ailerons? Do you WANT ailerons? Not everyone needs ailerons nor wants them. Lots of folks get everything they need from RES poly ships.

I believe that someone is making short kits for the Bubble Dancer. If you have the place and skills to build it then you likely won't find a finer plane.

If you're after a GOOD ARF then be prepared to pay some serious money as I'm sure you've seen already. But there are some nice ones out there these days.

BUt it sounds like you need to decide whether to stay pure glider or go electric. If you go electric you may as well pay the piper right now and get a new radio since the cost of the motor system will make the radio seem not that bad.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:19 PM
SS2P

Personally, I think ailerons are much more natural for my style, and I bet anyone who gets used to them will like them better.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: nikolai

I am looking to get a new plane, I have been flying a 3 channel electric sailplane and would like to move up, but do not want to get something out of my abillity, there are so many choices I am lost. Looking for a good thermal flier that is strong to take rough landing and maybe limited aerobatics and large wing span in an ARF. Looking at staying with 3 channel (since that is all Hitech Neon transmitter can do). Either in electric on non-motorized. Since I am asking for help, how about one in 4 channel set up in case I move up to a better transmitter and what transmitter do you recommend. Thanks in advance, Nikolai
A few things that would be helpful.

What are you flying now?

Strong for rough landings? Are you still crashing regularly or are you talking about contest Dorking in landings?

Do you have a budget in mind?

The e-Ava for about $700 is a wonderful plane.

The Remmy 2, at $250, is getting a lot of good press. This is a Vtail/ailerons plane, so you would want a 4 channel and prefferably 6+ channels.
http://www.nesail.com/videos/renny2.wmv

As far as radios go, if you are going to move into sailplanes with flaps and ailerons eventually then the Hitec optic 6, about $130, would be the minimum radio I would recommend.

Better choices would be the Futaba 9C Super for $300 or the Jr 9303 for $500.

Even if you decide to stay with 3-4 channel e-gliders I recommend a computer radio.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 PM
nikolai

thanks for the information. You all do a great job of helping out a fairly new pilot.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Dont sweat flying ailerons. My "first ailerons" experience. I had been flying a GP Electricub, and bought and built an Electrostreak. One my first day withthew electrostreak I nervously launched and...it was great! Why didnt I go to ailerons sooner? Hey- it does exactly what you tell it to do!

I think the real hurdle is being able to fly straight back at yourself. If you can do that with a rudder-elevator plane youre ready for ailerons IMHO.