Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Salto H101 4m

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 AM
lighthorse
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salto H101 4m

Is any one familiar with the Salto H101 4m from Icare.
It did not come with any documintation. I need to know
the recomended CG location.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58154.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	505113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94689.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	505114  
Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Aeolian Abbot

Default RE: Salto H101 4m

Hi, I had the same problem with the Baudis 2.4 metre version, if it is any use to you I set the C of G at 58mm from the leading edge. The chord on my Salto is 168mm at the root, the model flys really well although it tip stalls in tight 360s. I have reduced elevator throws to 15 degrees and given the ailerons 1mm of up to cause a washout effect, still tip stalls though.
Hope you have fun,
Jon

Name:	Hf98161.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	515454  
Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
lunns

Hi All,

I have just purchased the Baudis 4m Salto (Same as from ICare), was there any resolution on the CG, would be very handy before I commit aviation...
Also, any flight reports?

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Aeolian Abbot

Hi Steve,

I have set my Salto's CG on the forward position of 75mm from the LE at the root. The 4m glider is usually pretty well behaved but will tip stall if turning down wind too slowly. See video of such an event when I lent the model to a friend to fly and he tried to do a tight thermal turn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEGk...e=channel_page

As you can see from the clip you need a lot of space to recover.

The model is really fantastic, it looks and sounds brilliant, it really needs 15mph to start to perform, in 10mph it is really hard work and I recommend it stays on the ground or you get a tow. In 30mph it is a blast. It is the best model I have ever owned.

I found that the brakes need to be shut before landing or they can get caught in the grass and cause damaged to the under part of the wing joining the two brake flaps. I have run loads of epoxy into the cavity in the trailing edge where the airbrakes sit as all that supports the wing in this position is a very thin skin of fibreglass and this will spilt. Since making the mod the wing is much stronger and has not split on the under side again.
Also with full brakes on the glider lands with lots of vertical component and not much forward so as you get close to the ground and the wind drops the model will land quite heavily. I have managed to push the wheel housing up into the fuz through not shutting the brakes and flaring out in time. ( The wheel housing is not well keyed to the fuz)

I am using a Spektrum 2.4ghz twin receiver (AR7000) and have mounted one where the pilot's head would be and the other in the tail wheel cavity. I have flown the model at 1/2 mile distance and have had not had a problems.

Jiri Baudis was very kind and supplied me with a pot of yellow gel coat and I was able to repair the small cracks and dinks I have made to the wing and fuz. Mind you the gel coat on the model is very thin so I advise you not to use anything more abrasive than 1,200 wet and dry when and if you make a repair.

Oh and finally, be very careful who you get to launch the model as it quite heavy and needs a very strong nose down push in marginal winds or it will flop onto the ground and run over the edge of the slope on its wheel.

I'd love to see some pics or video of your glider when you get flying.

All the best,

Jon
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
lunns

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info, and the videos.

One more question, How did you connect the pre installed control rods to your servos on the brakes?

I will get some photos and Hopefully some video when ready to go. :-)

Steve
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Aeolian Abbot

Hi Steve,

I have made a little video for you of the brakes in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMX5-g4G4XM

I had to make new push rods as the originals were hopeless.

Be careful when removing the original and fitting the new push rods as you have to apply a lot of pressure and it is easy to split the wing skin, I did. Although this is not the end of the world and can easily be fixed it is such as shame to mark the wing.
I managed to get the other rod in and out without damage on the second wing panel.

All the best,

Jon
Old 08-21-2009, 07:17 AM
lunns

Thanks again Jon,

Great information.
Steve
Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 PM
lunns

Hi Jon,

Well, she flies, we went aerotowing last friday after work.

Tows really well, and given the conditions behaves very well, the pitching with the airbrakes are a bit of a challenge, but some smoother days will allow them to be finetuned.[img][/img]

Mine is the one on the left, you can see how she is different to the one on the right!! (actually they are different, by about 200g)

Looking forward to the slope, judging by how they performed of the tow, in speed and aerobatics, they are going to be absolutely awesome on the slope.

Steve

Name:	Ay75107.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1292886  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Aeolian Abbot

Hi Steve,

Sorry I forgot to mention how the nose pitches up on braking. I have the brakes on the throttle stick so I can adjust them.
Really good to see your model.
I managed to tip stall mine again at the weekend from about 4 feet, luckily not much damage.
It really doesn't like flying slow!
Some pics of my last day out.
http://www.lgra.net/htmldocs/sorties...onepics20.html

All the best,

Jon
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 AM
lunns

Hi Jon,

A little video of their slope maidens [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/silentflight101#p/u/2/2rkBHKNp5KI]http://www.youtube.com/user/silentflight101#p/u/2/2rkBHKNp5KI[/link]

Cheers
Steve