Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Electric Pod Experience Anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Electric Pod Experience Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Want2Soar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Pod Experience Anyone?

Has anyone out there ever experimented with or known
of anyone who has experimented with putting
an electric powered pod on a 2 meter sailplane?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't done it myself but a few years back there was one that used an enlarged pylon to hold the battery pack and used a direct drive motor. No reason why you couldn't make up something like that yourself. Or the usual thin pylon with the battery cells rigged up in a top surface conformal pack that laid smoothly along the wing.

The big problem is that you're pretty much limited to a smaller prop in this day when we pretty much all agree that a larger folder is more efficient at climbing.

But if you have a lighter 2 meter design and set up a pylon to let you use a 9 inch prop on a Speed 400 and gearbox I could see that working quite well. Just keep the cell capacity down to smaller sizes. Weight would be a killer for such a combo. It would be a lazy climb in any event but if you just wanted a quick boost to thermal country without laying out launching lines this is a nice way to go.

Or you could just build a second fuselage for your wings and tail like I did.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:40 AM
Proace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a gentle lady which started out with a cox .049 on a pylon. I converted to a sp-400, 7x3, 8 cell (300ma). I could get about 50 to 100 ft before batts went but was able to make thermals. I gave to plane to a friend and kept my motor setup. He is going to be using a geared sp-400 on a pylon with a folding prop and his pylon will have a hollow center where he is going to be putting AAA NiHm batteries. I had mine in the fuse.