Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
GregG7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions

I have been flying glow and gas for 6 years, and would like to try my hand at a glider for this winter's building project. I started looking and there are sooooooo many choices out there.
I am looking for something in the 2-meter range, that is powered by an electric motor. I like the idea of a brushless motor, and li-po batteries.
I don't care if the glider is an ARF, or a kit, but cost will be a determining factor.
I am looking for something that thermals well and fly's slow. I don't care to do aerobatics. I just want to be able to sit in my lawn chair on a relaxing lazy Sunday afternoon and spend an hour or so in the sky catching thermals.

Suggestions???

Thanks,
Greg
Old 09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Looking for suggestions

ORIGINAL: GregG7

I am looking for something in the 2-meter range, that is powered by an electric motor. I like the idea of a brushless motor, and li-po batteries.
I don't care if the glider is an ARF, or a kit, but cost will be a determining factor.
I am looking for something that thermals well and fly's slow. I don't care to do aerobatics. I just want to be able to sit in my lawn chair on a relaxing lazy Sunday afternoon and spend an hour or so in the sky catching thermals.

Suggestions???

Thanks,
Greg
How much you want to spend? Electric sailplanes are the best way to get into soaring. Sitting in a chair will limit you soaring, you've got to look around and be in tune with nature all the time.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM
kwmtrubrit

A Gentle Lady with a hi-start. The hi-start will give you just a little bit of exercise during the stretching phase, then you can relax and watch the Gentle Lady fly. Get a kit, that way you can modify if you want, plus it's cheaper than the ARF. With the hi-start your flying isn't controlled by how many batteries you have or waiting for batteries to charge. A good RX battery will give you enough flying time for the most part. Now watch the E-guys shoot me down
Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
slopenutz

Go for a Multiplex EasyGlider electric. They are one of the most durable and best flying planes around for the money! You can get a "Ready to Fly" version with servos, motor and speed control already installed for less than $175! I have one that I upgraded to a brushless setup and I routinely get hour long flights with it. I have flown many aircraft over the years (from slope foamies to 35% gassers) and this plane is probably the most impressive plane that I have flown. I might not look like much, but its performance will shock you!

A friend and I set up our chairs up under a big shade tree and chase thermals all day long! What more could you ask for on a lazy sunday afternoon!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:19 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you have given no budget, I will ignore price as an issue.

NE Sailplanes has the 2M Electric Renny.
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?pro...f22ec28bf8f839

Definately worth a look.

If you want to go 2M pure sailplane ( my type of ship), the 2M Renny looks good at $239
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1185

If you want to start cheap and resiliant, then look at the Easy Glider and Easy giider electric.