Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Wingeron w/ polyhedral!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 07:41 AM
CactusJackSlade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wingeron w/ polyhedral!

Well, my experiment worked.

I just wanted to see how well a wingeron polyhedral would fly, so I bought a banged up Zuni wingeron, sliced the upper deck on the wings in 3 places, bent and glued the wings with a BUNCH of dihedral and gave it a toss.

Much to my surprise it flew very well. With the added dihedral it was very stable and it turned beautifully. There was not much lift so I was scratching and was not able to do much at high speed - no rolls or loops etc. but when I did "push it" and slammed a few hard turs it did nothing wierd - even with a sloppy linkage and under powered wingeron servo.

I also flew it with just rudder/elevator and it also handled pretty good despite the small surface area of the Zuni "ruddervators".

Just another curious experiment for those of us that just HAVE TO KNOW!

I'd like to try to make another, larger ship with rudder/elevator into a wingeron... hummmm what could that be???

CJS
http://www.hobiehawk.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47213_8863.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	29229  
Old 01-14-2003, 07:41 AM
CactusJackSlade

Default Noodle wing!

Here is the wing end on... looks like a noodle when turing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47214_8863.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	29230  
Old 01-14-2003, 01:07 PM
fprintf

Default Wingeron w/ polyhedral!

Man, you must be proud of this thing because you have let *everyone* know in just about every forum I subscribe to (probably 4 or 5) that this thing flies well.

Anyway, it looks nice. Always nice to see beatup models getting cut up and used some more!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:39 PM
CactusJackSlade

Default Proud...

Well, proud only in the way a father could be proud of an ugly child ;-) !! You'll notice I didn't even cover the wings or fuse since I may do some more chopping and hacking yet!

Just thought it interesting... yes I have a tendency to be an irritating RASH on these rc groups Doh!

CJS